NEWBURY LOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1211989
Date first listed:
06-Dec-1990
Statutory Address:
NEWBURY LOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEWBURY LOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211989.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2019 at 03:01:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
NEWBURY LOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Newbury
National Grid Reference:
SU 47027 67155

Details

The following structure shall be added to the list:

SU 4767 SW NEWBURY KENNET & AVON CANAL 6/241 Newbury Lock GV II

Lock. 1796, C20 alterations. Brick chamber with stone coping. 2 sets of double wooden gates; top gates with mechanical gate paddle gearing, bottom gates with hydraulic gate paddle gearing. Top gates also assisted by lever operated ground paddle gearing, with a single lever on each side of chamber. Reputed to be the only lock in Southern England with this type of paddle gear. The Kennet Navigation was established by 1724 and acquired by the Kennet & Avon Canal Co in 1812. John Hore was engineer to the Navigation. John Rennie was engineer to the Canal.

Listing NGR: SU4702767155

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
396504
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00396/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James A Irving. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].