This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1212675



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Issey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 20-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 397167

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST ISSEY LITTLE PETHERICK SW 97 SW 4/221 Church of St Petroc Minor (previously listed as Church of St 6:6:69 Petrock, Little Petterick)


Parish Church, dedicated to St Petroc Minor. Circa C14 origins, restored in 1858 by William White and in 1908 by Sir Ninian Comper. Slate stone rubble and snecked slate stone. Slate roofs. Plan: Circa C14 origins with south aisle rebuilt in 1741. In 1750 the wooden tower was replaced with a stone tower and the tower was rebuilt again in 1858 by William, White to orders of Sir Hugh Molesworth (qv Molesworth Manor, Tregonna). White also extended the north aisle by one bay. During the incumbency of Rev. G.W. Manning (1862-1876) the walls of the church were covered in stencilled texts. Church restored by Sir Ninian Comper (patron Athelstan Riley) when the stencils were removed and the high altar, reredos and rood screen with loft were added. In 1916-1920 a chapel was added to commemorate Mrs Andelusia Riley. Exterior: Squat west tower of 2 stages with pyramid roof and weather cock. Carved corner pinnacles and lancet belfry openings with slate louvers. C19 tracery with gabled full dormers in south slope of roof. 2 storey vestry in north-east corner with battlemented parapet and reset 4-centred Catacleuse stone arch to south porch. Interior: Panelled waggon roof of circa 1825. 5-bay south aisle with moulded 4- centred arches. C15 font and some C16 bench ends. Furnishings largely of C19. Royal coat of arms, 1741. The church is especially outstanding because of the work by Comper which includes a particularly fine rood screen with loft above, carved by John Parsons of St Teath and decorated by artists under the superintendence of H.A. Bernard Smith. The high altar and reredos are also part of Comper's work and are of fine quality. Fine momunent to Andalusia Riley in memorial chapel to south of chancel. Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E. The Building of England, Cornwall, 2nd edition, 1970. Church guide.

Listing NGR: SW9182672150

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Church Guide for Church of St Petroc Minor
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SW 91828 72147


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1212675 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 05:35:29.

End of official listing