Church of St. Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1212695
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Bucklebury

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1212695.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 23:32:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary, Bucklebury

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bucklebury
National Grid Reference:
SU 55304 70867

Details

SU 57 SE 6/15

BUCKLEBURY BUCKLEBURY Church of St. Mary

14.4.67

GV I

Church. Mainly C12 and C15 with C19 chancel. Flint, tile, rubble and Ferricrete with Bath stone dressings, rendered chancel; old tile roofs separately over nave and aisle with two dormers on south side of nave, one to left hipped with three-light casement, one to right of two Gothick lights with Y-tracery. West tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, south porch and vestry.

West tower: circa 1450. Two stages with plinth, diagonal buttresses to west, string course, corbel table with carved gargoyles, coped parapet and four corner obelisks with ball finials and weathervanes; newel turret on first stage to north with lean-to old tile roof. Two-light louvred bellchamber openings with cusped heads, on each face; clock and one-light cusped opening with square head and hoodmould high up on first stage to south. West doorway with four-centered moulded arch in square head, quatrefoils carved in spandrels and hoodmould with uncarved shields as stops, three-light west window above with panelled tracery and hoodmould with spiral stops. Crucifixion, and man with wheel carved on south-east buttress, small circular two-light opening high up on north face.

Nave: C12 semi-circular arched doorway off-centre to left, of one order with one plain and one twisted shaft, scalloped capitals, dog tooth and other ornament, and crowned at apex with carved face, orb and Maltese cross; boarded door with old ironwork. Window to left of two cusped lights and square head with returned hoodmould, window to right similar but panelled between lights and hoodmould.

South Porch: dated 1603 in gable but rebuilt circa 1895. Flint with stone dressings, gabled tiled roof with decorated barge boards; plain semi-circular arch.

Chancel: central C13 style arched doorway to south with boarded door, flanked by two lancets. Three-light east window with panelled tracery and hoodmould with carved stops. North side has lancet to left and gabled projection to right with two-light square headed window.

North aisle: C19 three-light window to east with panelled tracery and returned hoodmould. Two three-light windows to north with cinquefoiled heads under square heads with returned hoodmoulds; central blocked four-centered arched doorway with carved spandrels and modern inscription, carved stone above with weathered stone canopy. C19 pebbledashed vestry with planted timbers and hipped tile roof to north of tower.

Interior: nave; three bay C15 north nave arcade with chamfered arches, four bay crownpost roof; box pews, C17 octagonal pulpit with guilloche ornament around panelling and tester, west galley of circa 1824, six hatchments, coat of arms above chancel arch, four panels with creed and commandments of circa early C19 in north aisle. Chancel; C19 chamfered arch with half octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals and hoodmoulds with carved stops, C19 arch braced roof, Squire's pew to north, Cl7 communion rails with twisted balusters, and some old armour. Glass in north aisle and Chancel by Brangwyn of 1912.

Monuments include; that to Henry Winchcombe of 1703 with two putti flanking coat of arms under drapery framed by panelled pilasters broken up in centre to support flaming urn; that to Howard Winchcombe of 1749 with two Corinthian supporting triangular pediment with coat of arms.

Listing NGR: SU5530270866

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
397119
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 294-296
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 106-107
Poole, K , History of St Mary the Virgin Bucklebury and Marlston Chapel, (1976)
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12110/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].