Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of THE GREY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1212709.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 21:58:57.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 69640 76590



4/189 The Grey House 17.9.52 - II*

House. Dated CRI/1678 for Charles Ridley, gentleman, early C19 additions and C20 alterations. Limestone rubble, irregularly banded in different colours of limestone, stone dressings and quoins, double Roman tiled roofs with central ridge stack. L-plan with lobby entry. 2½ storeys and 5 windows, all cross windows with hollow-chamfered mullions and transoms, leaded lights, continuous hood mould over ground and first floor windows, central flat-roofed portico with twisted columns, plain capitals with pendant pegs, similar engaged columns to rear, bolection-moulded doorcase with floating cornice, parapet with 2 panels and blank shield, small pediment and cornice; 3 symmetrical gables rising to ridge height, each with smaller 2-light casement with hood mould, datestone below central window with long cill, oval bull's eye in each gable, wrought iron finials, 4 central diagonal stacks. Left return has two 2-light cellar windows, 2 cross windows at ground and first floor as on front, hood moulds returned, blocked window in gable and bull's eye above; to left it storey block added early C19 with canted bay for porch, 2 single lights and 2 similar cross windows at ground floor, door with raised fillets, small gable with blank shield, hipped roof. Right return has central projecting slightly lower gabled wing, cross window at ground and first floor with continuous hood mould, bull's eye in gable, door with segmental head and first floor cross window to right; to each side, one cross window at ground and first floor as on front, 2 similar gables with windows and finial. Single storey kitchen wing attached to right with two 2-light windows to rear under eaves, one with similar mullion and surround, to right a C20 replacement. Rear has one gable to right with 2-light casement, stair turret set in angle of L-plan with gable to south and west and 2-light casement in each gable, south elevation of rear wing has blocked cross window at first floor and 2-light casement with hood mould in gable above. Interior: open-well stair with closed string, pendant finials, knobs to newels and turned balusters; front left room has fine fireplace with figure in plaster frieze, blank shields and cornices, front left and front right rooms have panelling with fluted pilasters in front right and fine fireplace with cambered head; bar-stopped beams. (Sources: Hall, L. : Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720. 1983 and unpublished survey, NMR).

Listing NGR: ST6964076590


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Hall, L, 'City of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery Monograph Number 6' in The Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720, (1983)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01569/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John A Long. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].