TREVOSE LIGHTHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1212769
Date first listed:
20-May-1988
Statutory Address:
TREVOSE LIGHTHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TREVOSE LIGHTHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1212769 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2019 at 19:24:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
TREVOSE LIGHTHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Merryn
National Grid Reference:
SW8507876563

Details

ST MERRYN TREVOSE HEAD SW 87 NE 1/275 Trevose Lighthouse

II

Light house. 1847. Built by Jacob and Thomas Oliver and sons of Falmouth. White painted masonry. Plan: Circular tower with low single storey entrance block flanked by 2 low single storey dwelling blocks in overall 'V' shaped plan. Exterior: White tower of approximately 87 feet with parapet walkway and lantern surmounted by weather-vain. Single storey pedimented entrance block with central entrance flanked by 2 low single storey dwelling blocks with C20 windows. Interior: Thick fog prevented full inspection and internal inspection at time of survey. Fog signal not installed until 1882 when it was given its first major overhaul and updating. Ingrey, J. St Merryn, its bays and byways 1983 Pevsner N. and Radcliffe, E. The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd edition, 1970 Mudd, D. Cornish Sea Lights, 1978

Listing NGR: SW8507876563

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
397271
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ingrey, J, St Merryn its Bays and Byways, (1983)
Mudd, D, Cornish Sea Lights, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09880/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mary Winch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].