CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1213255

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1213255 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 03:32:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Hoggeston

National Grid Reference: SP 80840 25027

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 82 NW HOGGESTON MAIN STREET (south side)

3/61 Church of the Holy Cross

19.8.59

GV II*

Parish church. Nave C12, S. aisle early C13 , altered and N. aisle built mid C14. C15 alterations and N. porch. C16 bell tower over W. end of N. aisle. Chancel largely rebuilt and remainder restored 1882. Coursed lime and ironstone rubble. Nave and chancel have tiled roofs with C19 coped gables, aisles have leaded roofs. Bell tower has shingled upper stage with louvred bell chamber and shingled broach spire. Supported on massive timber frame with curved braces inside N. aisle. W. wall of nave has 3-light traceried window over blocked doorway with moulded 4-centred arch and carved spandrels. Aisles have 2-light traceried windows, much restored, and moulded arched doorways. S. aisle has cusped lancet in W. bay. N. porch has double chamfered arch with hoodmould, small square window to E. and interior with stone benches, carved stone cross on W. wall, moulded tie beams and embattled wall plates. Chancel has ogee-traceried windows, 2-light to N. and S., 3-light to E., and S. door. Interior: nave of 3 bays. N. arcade has double chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded caps, the W. arch resting on carved head corbel. Similar chancel arch. S. arcade has similar arch to W., and 2 Transitional arches, pointed and chamfered, to E. on central round pier with moulded cap. Blocked round-headed window in central spandrel, rectangular opening to rood- loft at E. end. S. aisle has 4-centred arch to rood-loft stairs, much restored cusped ogee piscina, and roof with moulded purlin and 2 trusses with C17 scalloped ornament. Chancel has C19 roof, piscina, sedilia and tomb recess. Fittings: C15 octagonal font, early C18 pulpit, C17 grass tussock. Other fittings C19. Glass in E. window by Sir Ninian Comper 1949. Monuments: C14 carved stone effigy holding chapel and with feet on a sheep, said to be William de Birmingham 1342. S. aisle has altar tomb to Elizabeth Mayne 1599. Brass to Thomas Mayne 1608.

RCHM II p. 151-2.

Listing NGR: SP8084025027

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 397802

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

End of official listing