GREAT PORTLAND STREET UNDERGROUND STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1213650

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: GREAT PORTLAND STREET UNDERGROUND STATION, GREAT PORTLAND STREET W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREAT PORTLAND STREET UNDERGROUND STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1213650 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 03:11:46.

Location

Statutory Address: GREAT PORTLAND STREET UNDERGROUND STATION, GREAT PORTLAND STREET W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28862 82171

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2882 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER GREAT PORTLAND STREET, 36/14 Wl Great Portland Street 19.1.87 Underground Station - II Underground station with shops. c.1912 Metropolitan Line station. Cream faience tile faced with slate mansard roof. Elliptical plan with entrances in slightly advanced pavilions at cardinal points and perimeter shops surrounding booking hall-concourse. Free Classical style. 2 storeys. East and west pavilions, with rusticated quoins, have central, semicircular arched, keystoned entrances flanked by square headed keystoned openings; 1st floor with 2 architraved windows alternating with 3 architraved panels. North pavilion 4 windows wide with central semicircular arched entrance in rusticated surround flanked by semicircular arched opening and blind recess each side. South pavilion single storeyed finishing at 1st floor cornice continuous around building. In between pavilions are shops and windows on ground floor and alternating casemented windows and panels on 1st floor, as on east and west pavilions; in north-east and north-west quadrants shops are separated by engaged Doric columns. Crowning cornice and blocking course. Concourse top lit with square Doric piers, stone faced with marble plinths, encircling c.1930 booking office under altered lantern; pilasters to outer perimeter flanking shop fronts. Original banded tilework to south wall and stairs down to platforms; 1930s tiled geometric paving to concourse floor.

Listing NGR: TQ2886282171

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 209897

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing