Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214178.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:07:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Kettering (District Authority)
Thorpe Malsor
National Grid Reference:
SP 83369 79008


THORPE MALSOR CHURCH WAY SP 87 NW (south side) 5/98 Church of All Saints 25.2.57 GV II* Parish Church. Late C13, C14. Restored, and south porch and sacristy added, 1877, to the designs of Clapton Rolfe. Ironstone with limestone dressings. Stone slate, Welsh slate and slab roofs. West tower with spire, nave with clerestorey, north and south aisles, north porch, south porch and sacristy, Lady chapel, chancel. 4-stage west tower, C13 and C14, has clasping buttresses, moulded plinth and string courses, quatrefoil frieze. West side has a restored moulded doorway and above it, a C14 double lancet flanked by single cusped niches. Doorway and window have hood moulds. Third stage has a single lancet to north and south. Bell stage has on each side a double lancet bell chamber opening with hood mould and a central mask stop. Octagonal broach spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes with single and double lancets. Above, finial with wind vane. 3-bay nave clerestory has moulded parapet and gable and on each side, 3 plain C14 lancets in flat headed openings. Aisles have plinths, moulded string course and sill band and coped parapets. 3-bay north aisle has single 2-light Perpendicular windows with flat heads flanking the porch. That to east has dogtooth ornament to the surround, that to west, ballflower. Both have hood moulds. West end has a single lancet. Early C20 north porch has rubble side walls on plinths and unglazed arcaded wooden sides. Gabled common rafter roof with billleted transom and barge boards. Moulded inner doorway has band of rosettes and hood mould with mask stops. South aisle has to east a small buttress and a C19 flat headed triple lancet. C19 priest's vestry at east end has a single lancet with hood mould. West end has a flat headed Perpendicular 2-light window. South porch and sacristy, 1877, Early English style, has plinth, moulded string course and dogtooth eaves band, coped gable and finials. Porch has double chamfered doorway with mask corbels and hood moulds, and above it, a small lancet. Rib vaulted interior has wall shafts and roll moulded inner doorway with double shafts. Sacristy south side has 4 cusped lancets with hood moulds. West end has central roll moulded doorway flanked by single niches, all with dogtooth ornament, triple shafts and impost bands. forth side has a double side-wall stack and a spout in the form of an eagle. North east corner has a square crenellated stair turret with gargoyles and dogtooth ornament, pyramidal lead roof and finial cross. Parapeted and gabled Lady chapel,2 bays, has trefoil frieze. North side has to east an untraceried flat headed triple lancet and to west, a restored Geometrical double lancer. East end has a C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. All the windows have hood moulds. 2-bay chancel, C14, has moulded eaves band with fleurons. East end has angle buttresses, string course and sill band, coped gable with cross, and Decorated 4-light window with hood mould and Rash stops. South side has to left a double transomed Perpendicular triple lancet, and to east a plain double lancet with flat head. Both windows have hood moulds. Interior: late C13 double chamfered tower arch has octagonal responds and contains elaborate C19 organ case with stencilled decoration, flanked by groups of show pipes. Nave arcades, early and mid C14, 3 bays, have double chamfered arches with hood moulds, with stops to the north. North arcade has quatrefoil piers with moulded bases and capitals. South arcade has octagonal piers. Clerestory windows nave C19 stained glass. C19 roof has cambered tie beams with arch braces and traceried spandrels on mask corbels. North aisle has late C19 stained glass west and north side windows. To the left of the doorway, a small C16 aumbry and to its right, a restored C13 piscina. East end has a double chamfered archway with mask imposts. South aisle has C19 stained glass south and west windows, South side has to west, 2 chamfered doorways to sacristy. East end has roll moulded C19 doorway with triple shafts to priest's vestry, which has C19 stained glass window and stone roof. Both aisles have restored roofs with wall shafts. Lady chapel has stained glass north and east windows, 1877, the east window flanked to right by a C13 style foiled aumbry and piscina with hood mould. South side has 2 C14 and C19 double chamfered arches separated by a pseudo-pier, that to the east with round responds, that to the west with imposts. C19 roof. Chancel has C14 double chamfered arch with octagonal responds. East end has late C19 alabaster gradine and stained glass windows c1860. South side has to east an Early English style piscina with shafts, and renewed triple sedilia all under continuous hood mould with stops. 2 late C19 stained glass windows. Elaborate arch braced C19 roof with traceried spandrels and angel corbels. Fittings include C14 octagonal font with crocketed ogee arches on clustered shaft stem. Semicircular C19 frescoed stone pulpit. C19 oak altar, stalls and benches. Memorials include marble and slate pedimented tablet ,1677, and 3 C17 brasses, and large painted stone Baroque style pedimented war memorial, 1921.

Listing NGR: SP8336979008

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Online, accessed 27 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08507/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].