CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1214535
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214535.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-May-2021 at 16:37:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Claverton
National Grid Reference:
ST 78790 64136

Details

ST 76 SE CLAVERTON

7/44 CHURCH OF ST MARY 1.2.56 II

G.V.

Anglican Parish Church. C13, altered C15; heavily restored and rebuilt with exception of transept, by Manners and Gill of Bath 1858; north transept later C19 and vestry 1891. West tower, nave with north transept, south porch, chancel with north aisle and vestry. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar and freestone dressings; plain tiled roof over chancel and slate roof to nave behind an embattled parapet. West tower is the only substantial mediaeval part of the church; of 3 stages with off-sets on north and south sides, 2 stages to the west; saddleback roof set back behind plain parapet; 3-light C19 Perpendicular style west window; 2-light bell chamber window with lattice tracery. Nave: 3-light C19 Perpendicular style window with 4-centred head; decorative lead hopper dated 1628 (from the old manor); buttress at east end. Projecting gabled south porch, with chamfered outer doorway. Chancel: rood stair projection at south-west; two 2-light C19 Perpendicular style windows and central priest's door; C19 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. Perpendicular style windows to north transept and chapel. Interior: almost entirely mid - late C19. Wave and hollow moulded arch to north transept and chapel. Pulpit: C19 in a Perpendicular style. Font: 1866, marble; square top with relief panels on columns with foliate heads. Glass: North transept window has Flemish roundels of Tobit greeting Tobias, St. Peter with keys and a book, the Good Samaritan and a nun and whield emblazoned with a heart; the central panel depicts the Taking of Christ, early C14, ogee arch with heads of David and Solomon in spandrels; outer panels of arms of Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou, probably early - mid C19 copies. Nave, south side, nimbed head of a man and 2 small shields of arms dated 1558 with a helm and mantling. Monuments. Chancel: William Bassett, died 1613, 2 frontal half-figures of Bassett and wife with baby, coloured marbles, Corinthian pilasters and arms above in pedimental fields; Richard Graves, died 1804 by T. King of Bath, marble inscribed plaque and draped urn over. Nave: James Clutterbuck, died 1776, inscribed marble tablet, draped woman on an urn, in an aedicular surround. North transept: William Skrine, died 1725, inscribed marble tablet in aedicular surround with segmental head. Hedges funeral hatchment in Nave and monument to Thomas Hedges, died 1798, in Tower. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958. C. Woodforde, The Stained Glass of Somerset, 1946).

Listing NGR: ST7879064136

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
399384
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Woodforde, C , Stained Glass of Somerset 1250-1830, (1946)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14383/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Wilson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].