CLAVERTON MANOR (THE AMERICAN MUSEUM) AND SCREEN WALLS TO NORTH AND SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1214609
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1956
Statutory Address:
CLAVERTON MANOR (THE AMERICAN MUSEUM) AND SCREEN WALLS TO NORTH AND SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLAVERTON MANOR (THE AMERICAN MUSEUM) AND SCREEN WALLS TO NORTH AND SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214609 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 02:31:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLAVERTON MANOR (THE AMERICAN MUSEUM) AND SCREEN WALLS TO NORTH AND SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Claverton
National Grid Reference:
ST 78439 64064

Details

ST 76 SE CLAVERTON

7/60 Claverton Manor (The American Museum) and Screen Walls to North 1.2.56 and South G.V. I

Manor or country house, now a museum. 1819-20 by Jeffry Wyatt (later Sir Jeffry Wyatville) for John Vivian of Claverton. Ashlar with rusticated ground floor; hipped slate roof behind moulded cornice and blocking course; ashlar stacks with moulded caps. 3 storeys and basement. East elevation, 3:3:3 bays, the outer ones are in 3 storey segmental bows; glazing bar sash windows,in moulded architraves on upper floors. The centre 3 bays consist of two Giant Order attached Ionic columns in antis, resting on the rusticated ground floor; shallow niches containing statues flank the columns; centre first floor window under a cornice on long brackets; projecting square porch with urns on parapet, glazed door flanked by tall windows, all under a recessed segmental head. South elevation: 1:3:1 bays, the centre 3 are slightly advanced with Giant Ionic pilasters supporting a pediment which has the Vivian arms in the tympanum; similar fenestration to east front. West (entrance) elevation: 1:3:1 bays, the centre 3 are advanced and the inner bay is recessed with 2 Giant Ionic columns in antis; central glazing bar sash window under cornice on long brackets; glazed door flanked by tall lights and under a recessed segmental headed niche; fenestration as east elevation; affixed plaque by door reads "Here Winston Spencer Churchill on July 26th, 1897 made his first political speech". From the south-west corner a tall screen projects to the south; panelled ashlar wall of 7 bays with a balustraded parapet and urns on pedestals, approximately 20 yards long. A similar wall extends to the north from the north-east and north-west corners: 6 bays with a projecting porch on the east front and alternating panels and glazing bar sash windows on the west front; between the north screen walls are service rooms. Interior: open well staircase hall, cast iron anthemion balustrade, circular lantern and ox-skull plasterwork; Greek Revival room to north-east with enriched cornice and frieze and marble fireplace with caryatids.

Listing NGR: ST7843964064

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
399485
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16388/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].