This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1214784



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tilbrook

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-May-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 399721

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.





Parish church mainly of C13 and C14 with part of north arcade dating from late C12. C14 west tower, nave, chancel, vestry and south porch. C13 north aisle and north chapel. The church is noteworthy for the C12 north arcade and the woodwork in the roof of the north aisle and the screen between the chancel and nave. Limestone rubble and some dressed stone. Some ironstone to buttresses and parapets. C14 west tower. Embattled parapet and splayed plinth. Main cornice with beast, bird and head masks and grotesque gargoyles at angles. Exterior of 5 stages with string courses between stages and newel staircase at south-east angle. Four stage angle buttres- sing. C14 doorway, west window and openings to bell chamber. Broach spire of limestone ashlar. Two tiers of gabled spire lights. C14 nave. Embattled parapet with moulded main cornice. South wall has 2 C14 restored windows of 3 trefoil lights and the north wall has a clerestorey with 3 C14 windows. C14 south porch, gabled with moulded coping. Outer and inner arches are similar. Two moulded orders in 2-centred head. In the gable end, there is a reset C12 carved stone of a man and a beast (perhaps St Anthony and the Hog). Interior of porch has fragments of sculpture in relief of a bishop on a colonette. C14 chancel with C19 roof of 3 bays. Two windows of 2 cinquefoil lights in south wall. The one to the west has a low side. Restored C15 east window. Interior. North arcade of 3 full and 2 part bays. The 2 bays and one part bay to the west survive from late C12 church. Two-centred arches of one chamfered order carried on cylindrical columns with moulded bases, scalloped capitals and square abacii. The bays to the east are of late C13 and of 2 chamfered orders to 2-centred arches on cylindrical columns with alternate octagonal and round capitals with nail head ornament. Chancel. Late C13 2-centred arch of 2 chamfered orders between chancel and north chapel. One squint opening between north chapel and chancel, and a square opening in north wall of chancel, between'vestry and chancel, which may have been a confessional. North aisle. Fine C15 roof of 5 bays. Principal rafters with bracing and jackposts carried on carved corbels. Intermediate principals with figures of angels carved to soffits. Main beam moulded and with bosses at inter-sections. C14 angle piscina in south wall of chancel. Trefoil head in pointed arch on 2 sides and common octagonal shaft at angle. C14 stoup in south wall of chancel. Moulded jambs and 2-centred head. Fine late C15 or early C16 screen between chancel and nave. Ribbed coving carried on screen of 2 bays and larger central opening. Each bay with 3 lights. Below the dado, the closed panels are painted with figures of saints. Some original paint is still visible. Fragments of a C14 screen from Tilbrook Church is in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London. RCHM (Hunts), p 272 mon (I). VCH (Beds). Norris Museum, St Ives. Inskip Ladds Records.

Listing NGR: TL0806069225

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 272
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Bedford, (1904)

National Grid Reference: TL 08060 69225


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214784 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 03:39:18.

End of official listing