Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215027.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:12:52.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Salford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 77620 03507


SWINTON AND PENDLEBURY MANCHESTER ROAD, SD 70 SE Clifton (north-east side) 1479-/2/10002 Church of St Anne II

Church. 1872-4, by Edward Middleton Barry (third son of Sir Charles Barry). Coursed yellow sandstone rubble with light buff freestone dressings and steeply-pitched red tile roofs with cockscomb ridge tiles. High Victorian Gothic. Four-bay nave with east bellcote, north and south aisles, south porch, north and south transepts, short chancel of almost full height with lower parallel north and south aisles, gabled north vestry and apsidal east end. All comers (except the porch) have angle buttresses with offsets. At the west end of the south aisle is a promininent gabled porch with angle buttresses, a 2-centred arched outer doorway with chamfered and moulded surround and inner moulding in 2 orders with set-in colonettes which have foliated caps, a 2-centred arched inner doorway with lettering round the head and board doors with elaborate wrought-iron strap hinges, an oculus in the gable, gable coping carved at the apex, and a 2-centred arched 1-light window in each side wall. The aisles have windows of2 segmental-headed lights containing trefoil tracery; the nave has pairs of 2-centred arched 1-light windows with cusped bar tracery and trefoils in the heads, and a rose window in the west gable. Each transept has a pair of large 2-centred arched 2-light windows with trefoil bar tracery and a cinquefoil in the head, and a large cinquefoil above. The south side-aisle of the chancel has two 2-light windows with trefoil bar tracery, and a tall 2-light window in the east gable; the north side-aisle and the vestry which forms a prominent wing to it have similar fenestration. The apse has a continuous arcade of7 tall 2-centred trefoiled windows with flat-faced pilasters between the lights, imposts and moulded hoodmoulds. In addition, there are tie-plates at the west end of the aisles and the nave, and at the west side of each transept, and external tie-bars crossing the windows of the transepts and the east windows of the chancel aisles: all believed to be original. INTERIOR: 3-bay aisle arcades of cylindrical columns with moulded annular caps, 2-centred double-chamfered arches and hoodmoulds linked at foliated stops (all different) ; wagon roof with arch-bracing; large 2-centred chancel arch with colonettes rising from carved foliated corbels, dogtoothed intrados and fleuron enriched extrados; 2-bay north and south chancel arcades with clustered shafts, carved, foliated caps and spandrels painted with angels playing harp and lute (wooden screen inserted in north arcade, organ in south aracade); clustered shafts to roll-moulded apse arch; arcaded apse windows with free-standing colonettes which have carved capitals; stencilled wall decoration of apse with stylised sheaves of wheat in gold on a dusky blue background (believed to be original); early C20 stone reredos. Various stained glass windows including a good, intensely-coloured memorial window in the south aisle commemorating Capain Hugh Brocklehurst Pilkington, killed at Dardanelles in 1915. Tie-rods along both aisles and across transepts and nave. HISTORY: cost £16,000, paid for by Charlotte Ellen Corry (nee Fletcher), daughter of local colliery owning family (cousins of the Pilkingtons).

Listing NGR: SD7762003507


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05369/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email EnrichingTheList[email protected].