CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1215229
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215229.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 08:05:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
North Stoke
National Grid Reference:
ST 70374 69116

Details

ST 76 NW NORTH STOKE

4/149 CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

1.2.56 II*

G.V.

Parish Church (Anglican). C12, altered C13 and C15 - C16; restored 1888. West tower, nave south porch and chancel. Rubble, ashlar to the tower; plain tiled roof with coped raised verges. The west tower is probably C12, short and broad, of 2 stages with flat clasping buttresses, a plain parapet and short pinnacles; paired single light windows with semi-circular heads; west door in moulded and 4-centre headed surround; polygonal projecting stair turret to north east; on the south side is a plaque which reads "William/Britten/Church/Warden/ 1731" - does this denote the remodelling of the tower? Nave: two 2-light casement windows with hollow chamfered mullions and surrounds; heavily restored on north side; re-used Roman bricks on north side. South porch; projecting and gabled with a 4-centred doorway under a dripmould with carved head stops; scratch dial on east jamb. Chancel: C19 paired, plain lancet windows and C19 3-light east window in a Decorated style. The nave and chancel are on a slightly different alignment from the tower. Interior. The south door is late C16 - early C17; studded plank door with straphinges; the surround has a reserved chamfer moulding with stops and a 4-centred head. The tower arch is round- headed and chamfered. The chancel arch is pointed; the lower part is stop- chamfered and the top projects - possibly to carry a now missing rood loft. The nave roof is late mediaeval; plain rafters, high collars and no ridge. C19 pulpit in a Gothic style. Late C12 or C13 font: ashlar; square bowl and base with chamfered sides and a thick roll moulding around the waist, square plinth. Monuments. Nave - south side: Elizabeth Ash, died 1759, inscribed stone tablet in a moulded surround with a semi-circular head; four Ward family Monuments, Richard died 1786, Richard died 1763, Francis died 1743 and Anny died 1723, classical and baroque, inscribed square tablets in aedicular surrounds, one with an open pediment and one with an enriched surround. Nave - north side: Deborah Ash died 1769, classical tablet with an open pediment. Tower-damaged monument to the Ward Family, 1770, by Ford of Bath; marble; weeping woman resting on an urn, with a weeping willow to the left and an obelisk to the right: the inscribed obelisk ground is now missing. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST7037469116

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400298
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01445/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].