CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1215240
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215240.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:18:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Elmbridge
National Grid Reference:
SO8992867866

Details

ELMBRIDGE CP ELMBRIDGE SO 86 NE 5/34 Church of St Mary 14.3.69 - II*

Former chapel, now parish church. Rebuilt 1872, embodying C12 fragments. Ashlar, tile roof. Continuous nave and chancel, north aisle to both, bellcote to west end of nave. Chancel/nave: four bays, three lancets, south door in west bay with reset C12 door in gabled projection; three orders, outer two enriched, engaged shafts to responds; west end: three stepped lancets, double opening bellcote above with two bells; east end: three trefoiled lights under 2-centred head. North aisle: four bays, 2:1:1:2 lancets, with stepped buttresses between, west end a single lancet, pair to east. Interior: three-bay arcade with segmental arches on two C12 columns with simple capitals, east respond also C12. Main vessel and aisle each have a four-bay roof. Fittings: east end of aisle, C17 altar rail with pierced splat balusters removed from Purshall Hall (qv) in the 1940s, with contemporary communion table. Wall tablet on north wall of aisle to Edmund Purshall, died 1650, and others, topped by armorial cartouche: "Being the first that was interred in the Church (at least for many Ages)". Elmbridge was a chapelry of Dodderhill until 1877. (VCH 3, pp 63 & 67).

Listing NGR: SO8992867866

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400314
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 63, 67

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05350/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Lacey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].