CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1215370
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215370.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:12:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Brooke
National Grid Reference:
SK 84977 05724

Details

SK 80 NW BROOKE

1/61 Church of St. Peter

14.6.54 GV I

Small parish church partly of C12 but with C13 west tower, perpendicular S. aisle, and N . aisle and chancel of c 1579. It was restored in 1888, but this apparently had little effect on the interior. Coursed squared rubble throughout. West tower, nave with 2 aisles, chancel. Tower of 3 stages with 2-light plate traceried opening to bell chamber, with pierced wood shuttering and foliate capitals to shafts. Lancet windows in 2nd stage, and embattled parapet, corbelled out, above. Buttressed S. aisle with square headed windows restored C19. South porch has plinth and round headed archway beneath a coped gable. The South doorway has outer arch of C12 with twisted rope hoodmould, and double zigzag arch. The inner arch is pointed, though formerly round, supported by slight shafts, each arch being roll-moulded. The chancel is higher than the nave, and of ashlar, with square headed windows, made up of round arched lights. North aisle and chancel aisle also ashlar, with steep coped gables. 2-light window with squared hoodmould in west wall.

Inside, North arcade of 3 bays, norman, with double chamfered arches on circular shafts with volute capitals and square abaci with chamfered corners. Pointed early English arch to tower, with triple chamfer and 2 slender shafts. N. aisle as wide as the nave with door (blocked externally) round arched with ornate door furniture including scorpion-like hinges. Chancel arch and 2 bay arcade between chancel and N. chapel, are Elizabethan, moulded round arches on chamfered square shafts.

Chancel roof is C19 - a wagon roof with good timbering.

Elizabethan furnishings and fittings throughout - in the chancel, are 2 box pews with square panels and a frieze - ornate snake-like hinges on the doors. Over the frieze, and open-work band with turned balusters. The South pew has been made into a tiny vestry and this openwork filled in with fretted woodwork. Wall panelling in S. wall has scrolly and ornate arabesque-style frieze. Altar rails with turned balusters, and the alter table, chancel screen and that between chancel and N. chapel are panelled with a widely spaced balustrade above. In the nave a lectern and pulpit with sounding board, box pews and wall panelling with frieze and ball finials.

In the North chapel, a large memorial to Charles, son of Andrew Noel d 1619 aged 28. Alabaster recumbent effigy in flat aedicule: blank columns capped by obelisks above the cornice, which has lozenge and foliate decoration, and coat of arms in the centre. The figure is in armour, and lies on a woven pallet. Behind and below the figure are tablets bearing epitaphs. The monument is painted in red, green, gold and black.

Front is C12, a square basin on square base, arcaded, and with pyramidal wood cover.

Listing NGR: SK8497705724

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400552
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02458/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Harold Killingback. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].