17/214 Church of Saint Peter
Parish church. C15 tower, rest rebuilt and tower altered in 1844, by J. Hayward.
Chancel refurnished in 1916. Tower of squared and coursed sandstone. Nave and
chancel of dressed sandstone with limestone ashlar dressings and gable-ended Welsh-
Plan: Three-bay nave, one-bay chancel, and west tower. Nave and chancel rebuilt in
a Decorated Gothic style.
Exterior: Two-stage tower. Chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses to first stage with
chamfered offsets, coved string courses and parapet (probably rebuilt in 1844) with
raised corners and triangular raised centres to north and south. Rectangular north-
east stair turret with small windows and Welsh-slate hipped roof, hipped to west.
Two-light square-headed belfy openings with chamfered reveals and stone mullions, and
slate louvres. Two belfry openings to south, one above the other. Openings probably
restored in the C19. Perpendicular-style C19 first-stage west window of 3 cinquefoil
headed lights with panelled tracery, chamfered reveals and stone arch above. C15
west doorway consisting of wave-moulded arch with spur stops and C19 ribbed boarded
door. Plinth of tower returns to ground on each side of door. Nave and chancel with
chamfered plinths, buttresses with chamfered offsets, moulded stone eaves cornices
and parapeted gable ends with stone copings, and cross on apex of chancel gable.
Nave windows of 2 chamfered cinquefoil-headed lights with quatrefoils in tracery and
stone arches above. Chancel has moulded cinquefoil-headed lancets to north and south
with stone arches above. Chamfered-arched south doorway to left with runout stops
and ribbed boarded door. Approached by 4 stone steps. Perpendicular-style east
window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, chamfered reveals and
stone arch above.
Interior: Chamfered round tower arch with chamfered imposts. C15 chamfered-arched
doorway to tower stair with C19 ribbed boarded door. C15 newel stair. West window
and door with continuous splayed jambs. C19 six-bay nave roof with moulded wooden
wall plate, trusses consisting of principal rafters and low chamfered collars (or high
ties) with scroll stops (also with corner brackets), pairs of purlins and boarded
soffit. Nave windows with chamfered segmental-pointed rear arches. C19
continuously-chamfered chancel arch. C19 three-bay chancel roof similar to nave
roof, with collar trusses, single purlins etc. Shallow hollow-chamfered rear arches
to chancel windows and south door. Fittings: Chancel refurnished in 1916 (see brass
plate on wall). Plain communion rails. Carved wooden altar. Panelled oak reredos
(dated 1938) with 3 traceried panels, carved by Mr H.Reade of Exeter. Late C19
vicar's desk and chair and wrought-iron reading desk. Late C19 three-sided wooden
pulpit in north-east corner of nave, with blind 2-light traceried panels to front,
moulded top rail and wrought-iron reading desk support. Mid-to late C19 benches in
nave, with panelled ends. Late C19 organ, restored in 1938 (see plate) with early-
C18 style case. Restored C12 font with C19 octangonal step, restored circular stem
with moulded and dogtooth-ornamented base, gadrooned and chevron-ornamented circular
bowl, and flush C19 wooden cover. Plain late C17 communion table in vestry at west
end of nave, with plain turned bulbous legs and shaped apron to front. Also old
chest in vestry. Possibly C18 chest in chancel, with panelled sides. C19 encaustic
tiles to chancel floor. C19 stained glass in chancel windows, dated 1844. Nave
window with C19 diamond-leaded clear glass and C19 stained glass in tracery with
Biblical quotations. Two panels of C19 stained glass in tracery of west window
depicing St Matthew and St Luke (panels depicting St Mark and St John have probably
been removed). Slate plaque above chancel arch with inscribed border and
inscription:" RE-BUILT /A.D./ 1844/WILLIAM BURDETT,MINISTER/JOHN TAPP, CHURCHWARDEN"
C18 and C19 bells, restored in 1911.
A church on this site is first mentioned in 1340, and was a chapel dependent on the
Church of All Saints, North Molton (q.v.).
Sources: N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England, North Devon, p. 157; Kelly's
Directory of Devonshire (1939), pp. 109-10; Beatrix F. Cresswell, Notes on Devon
Churches, Deanery of South Molton. pp.242-6.
Listing NGR: SS7885630490