Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215415.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 06:17:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Rutland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 88070 04677



4/67 Church of St Mary



Small parish church, externally largely perpendicular but with C13 belfry to west, and a C18 chancel. Coursed rubble with limestone ashlar dressings throughout. The west front carries the heavy double belfry with hipped and gable rooflet above. The bell arches are triple chamfered, and between them a small buttress runs to ground level, containing a single lancet. To either side, is a projecting pilaster, carrying a clumsy finial. West aisle windows are lancets but other windows to S. aisle and clerestory are square headed paired traceried lights, those is aisle having squared hood-moulds with corbel heads. Big C14 south porch with parvise, the stair going up in the SW external angle. The porch is buttressed, with a single squared headed light to chambers in the gable, and big arched doorway with hoodmould and hollow chamfered shafts: low pitched roof with coping and cross finial to gable. Scratch dial on a quoin. Tiny belfry on east gable of nave and 2 blocked windows in this gable wall.

South transept has big perpendicular double tiered traceried light, and a square headed window in the east wall. The chancel is dated 1796, and of coursed ironstone rubble on a plinth, and with a flat sillband. 2 big round headed windows to each side with plain ashlar capitals and facing to arch, and keystones wood and lead glazing bars.

North transept much restored, and with evidence of rebuilding - either in C19 or more possibly in C15, to replace an eastern smaller transept. Blocked N. doorway with round headed arch.

Inside, nave of 4 bays with late C12 arcade: double chamfered arches on round piers with simply moulded responds, and some corbel heads. The NW bay has two 1/2-piers separated by a small square section of wall. Crown post and strut roof with ornately chamfered tie beams is dated on two of the ties, 1637, and 1804: possibly the roof was newly rebuilt in the early C17.

Double chamfered early English chancel arch on round responds, the chancel contains 2 grotesque corbel heads and a handsome timbered roof, probably of C20. Communion rail possibly C18. Arms of George III over the chancel arch, but recently repainted. North transept is separated from N. aisle by a squared archway with blanked traceried panelling. In the W. wall of this transept, a high blank traceried panelling. In the W. wall of this transept, a high blank traceried panelled tomb recess, on the S. wall, impression of a lower gabled roofline.

Furnishings: series of C18 wall tablets in N. aisle, and a single late C19 stained glass window, also in N.aisle.

C12 font, a round basin on a central and 4 surrounding chamfered shafts. The basin has pattern of blank arcading.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/02458/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Harold Killingback. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].