CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1215644
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215644.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 20:26:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Pilton
National Grid Reference:
SK 91466 02932

Details

SK 90 SW PILTON MAIN STREET (Westside) 5/133 Church of St.Nicholas

10.11.55 GV II*

Small Parish Church, exterior largely a Victorian restoration of perpendicular and earlier features, but internally probably partially early C13. Nave with west bellcote, S. aisle and chancel. Bell turret consists of paired gables with segmental arched hall openings - lancet in west wall, and date stone above of 1652. Double chamfered arches. S. doorway without piers, just a chamfered architrave and slight reponds, in Victorian gabled porch. S. aisle has coped gable and square-headed traceried openings with hoodmoulds and corbel heads. Chancel has lancet windows, with 3 lancets forming the east window. Blocked tiny north doorway, and a single window in the tall and buttressed N. wall - inside nave arcade of 2 bays, double chamfered round arches in round piers and responds. Outer shafts are very slender. The nave is high for its length and has a good crown post roof. Chancel arch, C14 double chamfered arch on 5-sided piers. Victorian chancel roof with chamfered curved struts on stone corbels. Various high Victorian fittings: pulput and lectern particularly notable. Font is perhaps C13 - an octagonal basin with traces of paint, on central and outer round shafts.

Listing NGR: SK9146602932

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400917
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11982/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].