Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215661.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 11:19:21.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 15959 89264


STILTON CHURCH STREET TL 1489 (South Side) 9/44 Parish Church of St 13.12.57 Mary


Parish church. Nave arcades mid C13, the northern arcade is earlier; chancel rebuilt and north and south aisles, west tower and nave arcades partly rebuilt in C15. South porch and north vestry c.1500. Chancel and vestry shortened 1808. Alterations 1857. Restoration 1887-88 and 1908. Walls of limestone rubble, reused Barnack and Ketton ashlar and dressings of Barnack and Ketton stone. Roofs of stone slates and lead. South elevation: west tower of four external stages with embattled parapet, belfry window of two cinquefoiled lights with a pierced spandrel in a four-centred head with moulded label; clerestory with three C19 trefoiled windows; south aisle with two windows; eastern window C15 of three-lights and western window partly restored C14; restored late C15 south doorway with moulded jambs and four-centred head. South porch c.1500 refaced and restored, outer archway with four-centred arch of two moulded orders with a moulded label and jambs with attached shafts carrying the inner order. Chancel with two C19 windows. Interior: nave arcades of three bays, third bay rebuilt in C15. North arcade with two eastern semi-circular arches of two orders, semi-circular east respond and first pier; octagonal second pier, all with moulded capitals and bases; west respond semi-octagonal with plain C15 capital and chamfered base. South arcade first two bays with round arches of two chamfered orders and third bay with two-centred arch of two chamfered orders, round piers and semi-circular responds with moulded capitals and bases. Rood loft doorway with segmental-pointed arch of three chamfered orders. West tower arch: two-centred of one continuous chamfered order, two chamfered ribs carried on semi-octagonal attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel arch: two-centred of two-chamfered orders, the outer continuous and inner terminating in responds. Font; C15 octagonal bowl with chamfered edges, plain octagonal to square shaft and base with broach-stops. C15 recesses in north and south aisle and vestry. Piscina in south aisle reset C15 with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. For brasses, and monuments see RCHM and VCH.

V C H Huntingdonshire, p225 R C H M Huntingdonshire, p257 Pevsner: Buildings of England, p348 Suckling, A F Drawing 1824 B.M. Kerrick, T Drawing c.1826 B.M. Churchwardens Account Books, and Vestry Records 1833-64 H.R.O.

Listing NGR: TL1595989264


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 225
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 225
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 348


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/01297/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JM Webber. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].