CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1215745
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215745.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:37:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Knodishall
National Grid Reference:
TM 42592 61952

Details

TM 46 SW KNODISHALL CHURCH ROAD

4/20 Church of St Lawrence 7.12.66 II*

Parish church. Mainly C14 and C15, much restored C19. Vestry added 1838. Flint, with repairs in brick; plaintile roof. C15 4-stage west tower, diagonal buttresses, some flushwork decoration to parapet with arms of Jenney family. Original west doorway with square hood mould and carved shields in spandrels. Blocked C12 doorway to north side of nave. South walls of nave and chancel have 2 late C15/early C16 brick windows; other windows of C14; blocked south doorway to nave. Heavy brick buttresses to south wall added 1843. Nave and chancel re-roofed at lower level in C19. Interior much restored. Octagonal font c1250, on central pillar with 8 smaller pillars around it; early C17 pulpit. 4 traceried panels of rood screen now beneath tower arch; cast iron coat of arms of William IV on tower arch above. Part of trefoil-headed piscina in south sanctuary wall. Brass to John Jenney, 1460, on north chancel wall.

Listing NGR: TM4259261952

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
401015
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07075/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Dunmore. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].