Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215792.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:14:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 14196 69661


THORNDON THE STREET TM 16 NW 3/97 Church of All Saints 29.7.55 GV II* Parish church. Medieval, restored 1870. Nave, chancel, south tower, north vestry. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Remains of render to nave. Continuous slated roof. Early C14 3-stage square tower with angle buttresses to south. Base of tower forms a porch: to the south, a doorway with 4 continuous chamfers; above is a trefoil-headed niche and above this a single lancet window. Belfry openings with missing Y-tracery. Crenellated parapet rebuilt in random brick. Nave has early C13 core with original north and south doorways; immediately in front of the south doorway is a larger 2-centre arched opening, contemporary with the tower. North and south nave each have 3 identical windows in Perpendicular style, mostly renewed C19 but 2 to north partly original. West end of nave has C15 work: buttresses with flushwork panels and stone shields; enriched doorway with shield-carved spandrels. 4- light west window of late C19. Chancel has mainly C19 windows in Perpendicular style but the north west window, with mask label stops, is original. C19 4-light east window with Geometrical tracery. South chancel has 2 enriched C15 buttresses similar to those at west end of nave, a C15 Priest's doorway and a low tomb recess at the west end. Interior. A coupled rafter roof of 1870 extends over both nave and chancel. No proper chancel arch; at entrance to chancel an arch is formed by a pair of C19 timber braces resting on angel corbels. Chancel windows are hoodmoulded, with mutilated carved stops. Splays of nave windows have moulded surrounds. Rood stair in north east nave. Cusped ogee piscina in south east chancel; drop-sill sedilia adjacent. C15 octagonal font has well-preserved carving, the bowl panels with alternate lions and shield-bearing angels. Pulpit has restored early C17 carved panels and a bracketed bookboard. Seating and reredos of c.1870. In north nave doorway the Arms of George IV dated 1822. 2 brass inscriptions (1599, 1610) to members of the Grimston family of Rishangles Lodge are re-set in the nave walls.

Listing NGR: TM1419669661


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/15918/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Durrant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].