CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1215972
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215972.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:08:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Childswickham
National Grid Reference:
SP 07508 38402

Details

SP 0738 CHILDSWICKHAM CP - 7/152 Church of St Mary 30.7.59 - II* Church. C13 with C12 remains and C14 additions. Restored 1870 when north and south walls were taken down. Chancel restored in 1872. Squared lime- stone with stone slate roof. Comprises a west tower with spire, nave, north transept, south boiler house, and lower chancel. The ribbed spire has lucarnes of two trefoiled lights, and corner pinnacles, set back behind an embattled parapet. The tower is of three stages with diagonal buttresses to the lower stage and has bell openings of two trefoiled lights with a foiled opening under a pointed head. The middle stage has a similar west window set within a larger blocked opening. Above the west doorway is a window of two trefoiled ogee lights under a flat head. The west doorway is pointed and moulded in two orders with sunk quadrant mouldings. The south wall of the nave is of three bays and has C19 windows of three cinquefoiled lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. Against the east bay is a boiler house with parapet and chimney. The north wall of the nave is of two bays and has similar windows. The north wall of the transept has a window of two pointed lights with a quatrefoil over, which appears to be early or mid-C19. In the east wall of the transept is a C19 moulded pointed doorway and a window with round head. The east wall of the nave is coped and has a stone bellcote. The south wall of the chancel has a window of three trefoiled lights with Perpendicular tracery within a deeply-splayed opening. In the north wall of the chancel is a blocked arched opening. The east window is of three cusped lights and has a cusped circle under a pointed head. Interior: the nave is entered from the tower through a restored doorway of c1130 - 40 which has a round arch with a roll moulding between two square orders and angle shafts with cushion capitals. Between the nave and the middle stage of the tower is a window of two round-headed lights. The nave roof is C19 and has king- posts rising from arch-braced collar trusses. On the north and south sides of the nave are niches with cinquefoiled heads and crocketted gables. The chancel arch is pointed and is hollow-chamfered between two wave mouldings. The inner order springs from engaged shafts. On the north side of the chancel is a blocked archway into a former north chapel. At the east end of the chancel are early C13 triple clustered shafts with trumpet-scallop capitals, intended for rib vaulting. The pulpit and choir stalls re-use some woodwork with carved tracery decoration. The restored octagonal font appears to be C17. (BoE, p 118).

Listing NGR: SP0750838402

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
401259
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 118

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05825/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].