CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1216364
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1216364.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:50:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Hanwell
National Grid Reference:
SP 43572 43575

Details

HANWELL CHURCH LANE SP4343 (South side) 24/77 Church of St. Peter 08/12/55

GV I

Church. Almost entirely rebuiit in the C14. North and south doorways of C13. Tracery in window in south aisle dates from the C13 and is probably re-sited. Clerestory added in late C14/early C15 and new roof constructed. Late C18 repairs. Ironstone ashlar. Stone slate roof laid to diminishing courses. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south parch, west tower. 5-window range. Chancel, 2-light Decorated windows and a blocked window. 5-light east window with intersecting tracery. Small 4-centred arched doorway on north now blocked. pointed arched hood moulds. Lively frieze of monsters and humans or a combination of both c.1340 by the north Oxfordshire group of masons (see churches at Horley, Adderbury, Bloxham). Nave has three 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows on both north and south. North aisle. Three 4-light Cl6 windows and C13 east and west windows have flowing or reticulated tracery. South aisle has a 3-light Decorated west window, a 3-light geometrical east window and windows with; Intersecting tracery to left and right of porch. South porch. Gabled, Diagonal buttress. C13 doorway. Plank and batten door with inner door. Stone ledge seats. 2 blocked windows. Tower of 2 stages with cranailated parapet. Higher stair tower with slit windows. 2-light Perpendicular windows. Chancel. All windows have slender jamb shafts. Vault made under the chancel in 1776 and floor raised to the level of the Decorated piscina and sedilia. 3-bay butt-purlin, tie beam roof. Altar rails of 1686. 3-bay north and south nave arcades. On the north the capitals have crenellated cresting, on the south there are figures of minstrels playing musical instruments. (Similar carvings at Adderbury, Bloxham and Drayton). North aisle roof renewed. South aisle roof restored retaining original tiebeams. South aisle. Piscina and credence table. In the south-cast corner a stone angle fireplace with chimney vent in the form in a pinnacle with gabled crocketed openings. North aisle. Stone carved rerados and Decorated piscina. 2 small square recesses. Tub shaped font of c.1200 with a final. intersecting arcading. Wooden Jacobean cover with 4 scrolls supporting a finial Alabaster tomb effigy to William Cope and wife in chancel wall. Memorials to Jonathan Cope d1765, Mary d.1753, Jonathan d.1763. Cartouche commorating Charles Cope 1781. Hatchment in south aisle and wall memorial to Harris family member. North aisle has marble wall memorial to Reverand Thomas Gill d.1771 South aisle. Tomb effigy Brass to Fitzherbert Potter, DD; 1749. Ironstone chest tomb commorates George Ashwell, d.1693. Balusters at corners and decorated with cornucopia. Recess in chancel has funeral helms of the Cope family. Creed and the Lord's Prayer painted on the wall in the south aisle. Clock of 1671. Door to bell tower of plank and nail construction with strap hinges. (Buildings of England; Oxfordshire: 1874, p631; VCH; Oxfordshire; Vol IX, pp120-2; Jnl Brit. Arch. Assoc. XXVII (1921); pp129-152, photographs in NMR)



Listing NGR: SP4357043576

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
401732
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 631
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 120-2
'Journal of The British Archaeological Association' in Journal of The British Archaeological Association, , Vol. 27, (1921), 129-152

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/14380/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].