Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1216504.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 10:46:17.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cherwell (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 41685 43965


HORLEY CHURCH LANE SP4143 (East side) 23/88 Church of St. Etheireda 08/12/55


Church. C12. Chancel and central tower remodelled in C13 and C14. Nave of C13. Clerestory of c.1320. South aisle enlarged C14 and south porch added. North aisle rebuilt C15 re-using the C13 doorway but inserting C15 windows. Nave west window of C17, C17 and C18 repairs. Restored in 1915 by William Weir. Squared coursed ironstone. Steeply pitched stone slate roofs. Stone corner stack. Chancel, central tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch. 7-window range. Chancel. Priest's doorway on south has plank door, pointed arched head and hood mould. Entrance is flanked by 3-light. Decorating windows with ogee arched hood moulds. 5-light east window has intersecting tracery and hood mould. Chancel has two 3-light Decorated windows on the north. Stone-coped gables. Central tower of 3 stages with crenellated parapet and diagonal buttresses. C12 openings to 3rd stage. Singl and 2-light Perpendicular windows on south. Nave clerestory has 4-Perpendicular windows on north and south with square heads. Parapet. South aisle has 3-light Decorated windows with reticulated and wheel tracery and a 2-light Perpendicular window with square head, hood mould and label stops. Parapet diagonal buttress. Gabled south porch has pointed arched doorway. South door has 2 attached C13 columns with bell capitals. North aisle, C13 re-sited doorway. Three 3-light Perpendicular windows. Hood moulds and label stops. West window of nave renewed in C17. West doorway of C13. Interior. Chancel has a C19 King strut roof. Two C12 piscinas and an aumbry with a round arch with roll moulding. Decorated chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders. Nave has a 4-bay C19 King strut roof. 4-bay nave arcasdes with arches of 2 chamfered orders and alternating round and octagonal piers. Screen and roof loft by Lawrence Dale 1947-50. C18 organ. C12 tub shaped font. Noteable wall paintings; Gigantic St. Christopher c.1450 in north aisle (¨one of the largest and most perfect representations of the Saint in this Country¨ VCH). Post Reformation textes on south wall. Tower has 2 arched tomb recesses and brass c.1500 representing a Civilian and Lady with 6 daughters and several sons. Fragments of early glass; early C15 in north aisle; south aisle. C19 pine pulpit and C19 pews. (Buildings of England; Oxfordshire; 1974, pp652-3; VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol IX, pp134-6; Jnl Bot. Arch. Assoc., Vol 27 (1921), pl, 1-76)

Listing NGR: SP4169643966


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J, The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 652-3
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 134-6


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12242/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Sarah L McKenna. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].