SP 83 SW WHADDON CHURCH HILL
2/128 Church of St. Mary
Parish church, C12, altered C14 and C16. Restored 1889, 1891,
1902 and 1906. Coursed rubble stone, lead roofs to nave and
aisles, tiled roofs to chancel and N. chapel. W. tower, nave
aisles, N. and S. porches, chancel and N, chapel. C14 W. tower
of 2 stages has off-set buttresses, battlemented parapet with
gargoyles, stair turret at S.E. corner, and 2-light traceried
openings to bell-chamber. W. side has moulded arched door with
3-light Decorated window above, both with hoodmoulds and worn
carved head stops, and cusped niche over. Nave, aisles and
porches have plain parapets. C16 clerestory with 2-light window
to N. 2 3-light windows to S. and 2 single lights to E, N. aisle
has 2 2-light traceried windows, partly restored, and door in
moulded arch with hood and carved head stops. S. aisle has
similar door and 3-light window to E, and 2 3-light traceried
windows,mostly C19, to S. C16 porches have 2-centred chamfered
arches. Chancel has low-side window with cusped ogee head and
transom, similarly arched small doorway, and C19 3-light window.
E. windows of chancel and N. chapel are 3-light windows with
ogee tracery, hood moulds and carved head stops, partly restored,
N. wall of chapel has similar 2-light window. Interior : Triple
chamfered tower arch on semi-octagonal piers with moulded caps,
similar double chamfered chancel arch. Nave arcade of 3 bays
has slightly chamfered Transitional arches on round piers with
variously carved and moulded caps, partly restored. N. wall
of nave has arch to chapel at E. end, S. wall has chamfered arch
to chapel with one carved head corbel. Cusped ogee stoups to N.
and S. doors. Chancel has double chamfered arch to chapel with
caps on small carved heads. C19 aumbry in N. wall. Moulded
trefoil-headed piscina, plain double sedilia with shaped armrest.
N. Chapel has segmental arched recess, cusped piscina and C14
roof with arched braced collars and wind-braces. Fittings: C13
font, on 4 columns with strips of dogtooth ornament between.
Painted wooden winch bracket with carved face above. Early
C17 altar rails and communion table. Other fittings and glass
C19-C20. Monuments: Purbeck marble tomb of Thomas Pigott, 2
wives and children 1519, with ornamental blind tracery to tomb
chest, canopy on slender decorated shafts, and small brasses.
Monument to Arthur, Lord Grey de Wilton 1593 with plain tomb
chest and inscription above in surround of short fluted Ionic
columns and cornice hood. Stone tablet of 1610 with brasses of
Margaret Myssenden and skeleton.
RCHM II p 318-321
Listing NGR: SP8053434074