CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1216611
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ALL SAINTS, BLACK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1216611.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 19:42:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ALL SAINTS, BLACK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Great Yarmouth (District Authority)
Parish:
Winterton-on-Sea
National Grid Reference:
TG 49122 19463

Details

TG 41 NE WINTERTON BLACK STREET Church of Holy Trinity 2/54 and All Saints 25.9.62 G.V. I Parish church. C13 north chancel chapel. Remainder of nave and chancel and lower stages of tower C14. 1387 work on raising tower commenced, completed mid C15. Nave remodelled C15 when aisles probably removed. Complete restoration 1877-78 by H. J. Green (Diocesan architect). Tower restored 1883. Cut flint with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. 7 stage tower, internally of 4 stages. High plinth and base, the latter with arcaded cinquefoil flushwork, the former with chequered flushwork. Angle buttresses rise to upper belfry and there change to diagonal, terminating in corner pinnacles. 3-light C19 Perpendicular west window. Square traceried ventilation panels to ringing chamber. Fourth stage is original belfry, pierced by 2-light cusped windows carrying a reticulation unit. 3-light Perpendicular louvred upper belfry windows. Parapet is crenellated, the crenellations traceried. 2 subsidiary pinnacles each side in form of a man and a beast. C15 south porch bearing arms of Sir John Fastolfe (died 1459). Diagonal buttresses. Traceried base below frieze of rosettes. Damaged cusped ogee statuary niches to right and left of moulded entrance arch. Rosettes in jambs of arch and foliage in spandrels. Above is an inscription frieze : in honour of the Holy Trinity and All Saints. 2 further ogeed and canopy statuary niches flank wall sundial. Crenellated parapet with finials obscures gabled roof. Nave and chancel have crenellated parapets. Nave supported on stepped buttresses, diagonal to east. All windows C19, of 3-lights and Perpendicular in style. One C14 flowing tracery window to north nave at east end. 2 3-light C19 Perpendicular chancel windows to south and arched priests' door. Angle buttresses to east flank 5-light C19 east window. 2 C15 Perpendicular windows remain to north chancel, one blocked by organ (inserted 1894). Against north chancel wall leans a C13 chapel : 2 ashlar trefoiled lancets to north, one each to east and west ends. Eaves rebuilt with brick. Interior. Multiply moulded tower arch with semi-circular responds. Moulded bases and polygonal capitals. Square internal stair towers to left and right, that to south with blocked door. C19 octagonal font with domed font cover. Bowl panels have quatrefoils and rosettes. Excellent nave roof by H.J. Green 1878. False hammerbeams alternate with crenellated tie beams. On ties stand octagonal crown posts rising to crenellated collars. From wall plate exuberant cinquefoiled pierced braces soar up to meet collars. Rectangular aumbry in north-east chapel. Trefoiled piscina in south-east chapel. Chancel screen of 1899. It has cusped ogee decoration and no muntins dividing bays. C19 arch braced chancel roof, the arches pierced. Crenellated collars and arched windbracing. Chancel arch has polygonal responds and sunk-quadrants in the arch. Cinquefoiled cusped piscina in south chancel wall with responds of demi-columns, polygonal capitals and moulded bases. Lancets in north chancel chapel deeply splayed on interior.

Listing NGR: TG4912219463

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402091
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07461/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Donald Rintoul. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].