CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1216629
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1216629.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:34:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Marston Trussell
National Grid Reference:
SP 69363 85929

Details

MARSTON TRUSSELL MAIN STREET SP68NE (South side) 1/39 Church of St. Nicholas 02/11/54

- I

Church. C13 and C14. Squared coursed lias and limestone with ashlar dressings and lead roof. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel: South elevation of one-window range with 2-light window under 4-centred arch. North elevation of 2-window range of 3-light windows under 4-centred arches. North door between windows. Ashlar gable parapet with central gargoyle. 3-light east window. Clasping buttresses at corners. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar gable parapet. South aisle of one-window range with 3-light square-headed window. South door to left of window has C14, double-chamfered pointed arch. C17 inscribed tablet below window only partially legible. 3-light square-headed east window and C19 two-light west window. Ashlar gable parapet has corbel table decorated with faces. Lean-to roof. The nave projects eastwards beyond the south aisle and has half a blocked arch with a single-light window below; also a clasping buttress at the corner. North aisle of 2-window range with 2-light window with roundel above to the left, and a single lancet to the right. 3-light east window under pointed arch and 3-light west window under 4-centred arch. C18 inscribed tablets attached to wall at either side of east window. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. North porch has timber framed gable with large curved timbers around the ribbed and studded door. Gabled roof with plain-tile covering. Nave clerestory of 3-window range to south and 2-window range to north, with 2-light square-headed windows. Shallow-pitched roof with ashlar gable parapets. Perpendicular west tower of 4 stages. Shallow ashlar buttresses to lower 3 stages. 2-light west window to ground floor. Pairs of 2-light bellchamber openings to each face of fourth stage have transoms with cusping. Castellated ashlar parapet with large central gargoyles. Pinnacles at corners decorated with tracery and crockets. C20 boiler room to south of tower. Interior: Double-chamfered chancel arch. 3-bay nave arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches, those to south probably c.1300 with quatrefoil piers and those to north of mid C14 with octagonal piers. The east end of the south arcade is partially blocked by the return corner of the south aisle. Tall triple-chamfered tower arch. Nave and north aisle roofs contain original timbers. Double ogee-headed sedilia to right of altar. Monuments: South aisle, to Mark Brewater died 1612, a kneeling figure under a semi-circular arch flanked by plain pilasters with coat of arms and obelisks above. The nave floor has several C18 black inscribed tablets. Several C19 marble wall mounted tablets. Fragments of C17 panelling around the altar. C19 stained glass to the east window and some north and south aisle windows. Medieval stained glass to south east clerestory window. Font: Octagonal Perpendicular. Communion rail, Jacobean with turned balusters.

Listing NGR: SP6936385929

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402117
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05419/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Screaton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].