This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1217080



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Ashford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wye with Hinxhill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 411817

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TR 0446 0546 WYE HIGH STREET (north side)

8/266 The Latin School 13.10.52 Wye College


Schoolroom. Circa 1445 for Cardinal Archbishop John Kempe. Flint, in part refaced with red brick. Plain tiled roof. Single storey with hipped roof, and with 2 paired and 1 single four centred arched and label-hooded lights to road front, boarded door to left return with cusped light, both with label heads, and moulded doorway to right return. Wooden casements (in outshot) to north side. Interior: fireplace similar to that in the Parlour, Old Wye College; four centred ovolo moulded with fernleaf spandrels, with refined florid strapwork overmantel. Ogee headed panelled wall cupboards below the central window to south. Probably originally twice the size to north (hence the brick rebuilding). Built as, and used even after Dissolution, the Grammar School for both Kempe's original College and the Grammar School which succeeded it. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 506; Hasted VII 354 ff).

Listing NGR: TR0546346836

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1801), 354
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1976), 506

National Grid Reference: TR 05464 46834


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1217080 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 07:57:34.

End of official listing