ARKLEBY HALL AND FLANKING WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1217229
Date first listed:
03-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
ARKLEBY HALL AND FLANKING WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of ARKLEBY HALL AND FLANKING WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1217229 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 20:33:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
ARKLEBY HALL AND FLANKING WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Plumbland
National Grid Reference:
NY 14270 39744

Details

NY 13 NW PLUMBLAND ARKLEBY

12/80 Arkleby Hall and 3.3.67 flanking walls

G.V. II

Farmhouse. Circa 1740 incorporating earlier house of 1725 with Thompson coat-of-arms over front entrance. Incised cement render, with painted raised quoins and cornice, on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers; yellow brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys with attic, 5 bays of double span. Top-glazed panelled door in bolection architrave within fluted plaster doorcase under large segmental pediment enclosing coat-of-arms. Sash windows in painted stone architraves. Yorkshire-sash attic windows in painted stone surrounds. Short shaped flanking walls form integral part of house, that to left surmounted by griffin holding coat-of-arms in its claws. Rear wall has round-headed 2-light staircase window and small attic windows. Interior datestone, inscribed G & J.T. 1725 (Gustavus & Johanna Thompson), has carved bears and men on horseback, which appear to have no armorial significance. C20 extensions and farm buildings to left are not of interest.

Listing NGR: NY1427039744

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
411788
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11625/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eric C. Apperley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].