THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1217264
Date first listed:
18-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1217264.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:38:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Chichester (District Authority)
Parish:
Stedham with Iping
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU8638822598

Details

SU 8638 2259 16.6.1959

STEDHAM WITH IPING MILL LANE STEDHAM The Parish Church of St James

GV II

Parish church. Tower dated 1673 but church dating from 1040 was demolished and replaced by the present structure in 1850 by Joseph Butler of Chichester in Gothic style. Built of Hythe sandstone with shingled roof to tower and 20th Century tiled roof to remainder. South east tower, four bay nave with north aisle and south porch and two bay chancel with organ chamber to south. EXTERIOR: South east tower is of three stages and has galleting and tapers to the top. Shingled spire with weathervane. South side has stone mullioned windows, east and west sides have arched openings with 17th Century studded plank door to west. Nave has lancet windows and gabled south porch with carved bargeboards and the south wall incorporates three stones ornamented with crosses from the earlier church. INTERIOR: Tower has beam with two inch chamfer and lambs tongue stops. Three bells of 1618, one of 1719, one of 1741 and last of 1897. Nave has south arcade with pointed arches on circular columns with plain mouldings and roof of kingpost type. Circular stone font, hexagonal pulpit and boxpews. Wall monument to Rev. Thomas Wrench d.1778, draped urn with two oval medallions below, Vitruvian scroll and central plaque with blank oval. Tablet to Richard Ayling d.1785, obelisk, oval plaque framed by wheat ear drops and palm fronds. Also ceramic plaque to Robert Cooke Brill, Rector d. 1917. Late 19th Century stained glass and one grisaille panel. Chancel has carved choir stalls and communion rails with trefoil pattern. 1850 Church not of special interest.

Listing NGR: SU8638822598

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
412087
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/09809/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Heather A Coulson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].