LEASIDE METHODIST CHURCH AND UNITED REFORM CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1217442
Date first listed:
13-Sep-1995
Statutory Address:
LEASIDE METHODIST CHURCH AND UNITED REFORM CHURCH, LEASIDE WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEASIDE METHODIST CHURCH AND UNITED REFORM CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1217442.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 20:25:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
LEASIDE METHODIST CHURCH AND UNITED REFORM CHURCH, LEASIDE WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Ware
National Grid Reference:
TL 35863 14354

Details

WARE TOWN

TL3514SE LEASIDE WALK 829-1/9/140 (North side) Leaside Methodist Church and United Reform Church

GV II

Church. Built as The Independent Chapel 1816, rebuilt as the Congregational Church 1858-1859. Brick with stone window surrounds, south facade coursed limestone rubble with ashlar limestone dressings, bands, quoins and ornamental window and door surrounds, Welsh slated roofs. 5 bay single cell meeting room, with shallow gallery at south end, shallow `chancel' bay at north end. EXTERIOR: south facade in the Romanesque style, treated as 2 storeys with attic, and subdivided by shallow projecting buttresses into 3 bays, with plinth and moulded bands below and above first floor windows, which light the gallery within. Central doorway, with twin leaf battened doors, with foliated scrollwork wrought-iron hinges recessed with 2 semicircular arches, the inner with ornamental discs, the outer with interlaced zigzags, moulded extrados and impost carried on twin colonnettes. Left and right colonnettes and semicircular arches, bobbin mouldings on ground floor, relief zigzags on first floor. Central triple-light window above entrance, lancet, with billet ornamented head, flanked by semicircular headed windows, with colonnettes at jambs, and separating the lights. Circular wheel window above, with 8 radiating lights and central oculus. Plaque above in apex of gable `1816 rebuilt 1859'. Brick sides divided into 5 bays by shallow buttresses, with semicircular headed windows between. INTERIOR: has yellow brick walls, with stone windows set in red brick recesses and beneath red brick arches, lattice glazing with etched and painted quarries by Powell of Whitefriars. 3 light north window divided by colonnettes, in one bay `chancel'. Stained and painted glazing of scenes from the Resurrection. Below is foundation stone laid by David Williams Wire, Lord Mayor of London on 25 November 1858. Roof over church has exposed tie-beam trusses, braced below from corbels, with queen posts, king post, curved braces, collar and struts, supporting 3 purlins. Principal rafters, and curved bracing exposed beneath boarded ceiling. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Independent Chapel was established by a dissenting group from the Old Independent Chapel in Church Street in 1811, and their first chapel opened 5 years later. The 1859 rebuilding was financed to half the cost by Joseph Chuck of Widbury House, a leading Ware maltster. In 1972 the United Reform Church was formed by amalgamation of the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches, and in 1978 they were joined by Ware Methodists to form the Leaside Church. (Edwards E and Perman D: Ware's Past In Pictures: Ware: 1991-: 125; Heath C: The Book of Ware. A Portrait of the Town: Chesham: 1977-: 77, 83; Lavender S: Churches, Chapels and Faiths of Ware: Ware: 1989-: 38-9; Ware Tithe Map: 1845-; Ware 25" to 1 Mile. Surveyed by the Ordnance Survey Department: 1851-).

Listing NGR: TL3586314354

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
412376
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Edwards, , Perman, , Wares Past in Pictures, (1991), 125
Heath, C, The Book of Ware A Portrait of the Town, (1977), 77
Heath, C, The Book of Ware A Portrait of the Town, (1977), 83
Lavender, S , Churches Chapels and Faiths of Ware, (1989), 38-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/14676/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].