CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1217958
Date first listed:
08-May-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, SAINT PETER'S WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1217958 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 17:41:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, SAINT PETER'S WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 40168 57781

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ4057 SAINT PETER'S WAY 920-1/12/207 (East side (off)) 08/05/50 Church of St Peter (Formerly Listed as: DAME DOROTHY STREET (South side) Church of St Peter)

GV I

Formerly known as: Church of St Peter CHURCH STREET Monkwearmouth. Formerly separate churches of St Peter and St Mary. Monastic church, now parish church. 674-5 first church, of which survive west wall and 2-storey gabled W porch which is now the lower stages of the tower, for Benedict Biscop the founder. Upper stages of tower before 1000. Rest of church by end C14. Nave and chancel much altered in C19: chancel arch removed early C19, N aisle rebuilt and E window reproduced 1875-6 by Austin and Johnson. Interior and roof rebuilt 1985? after fire. Rubble with quoins and C19 ashlar dressings; renewed Lakeland slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave and N aisle; W tower; chancel with S organ chamber. EXTERIOR: E elevation has clasping buttresses and a central buttress below 5-light window with decorated tracery; small top light with ogee tracery; east front of north chancel organ chamber has pent extension with 2-light cusped tracery in pointed-arched window above. South chancel wall has 2 square-headed 2-light windows with tracery. South transept has 3-light window in style of east window under steep gable; nave has dripmoulds over 4 renewed 3-light south windows; North paired transept gables have 2 windows; north aisle has 3 3-light windows as in nave, with angle buttresses. West elevation shows single high light half-obscured by tower fourth stage. 5-stage tower has open-arched porch with 3 round-headed arches on impost blocks, the W arch with balusters supporting eroded low-relief carving of interlace-type animals. Next stage has single round-headed opening; above this, in former gable, an eroded figure; fourth stage a single plain arched light; belfry has 2 arched lights with baluster mullion; small blocked roundel above. INTERIOR: porch barrel-vaulted. West wall shows sequence of alterations including low wide arch. Nave arcade pointed arches on round piers. Chancel floor has ochre and terracotta coloured tiles repeating motif of figures at west door jambs among other medieval motifs, and inlaid bands of marble. Exhibition panels and cases of finds from excavation displayed in north transept. Organ chamber now with arch blocked to form upper meeting room. Glass includes two lights by Kempe in north transept; other glass by LC Evetts. Ground to south of church a Scheduled Ancient Monument. (Corfe T and Milburn G: Buildings and Beliefs: Sunderland: 1984-: 4-5; Medieval Archaeology: Cramp R: Article: 24-42).

Listing NGR: NZ4016857783

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391582
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Corfe, T, Milburn, G, Buildings and Beliefs, (1984), 4-5
'Medieval Archaeology' in Medieval Archaeology, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00752/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A Hubbard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].