ENGINE HOUSE AND BOILER HOUSE AT RYHOPE PUMPING STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1218116
Date first listed:
19-Jun-1974
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
ENGINE HOUSE AND BOILER HOUSE AT RYHOPE PUMPING STATION, STOCKTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENGINE HOUSE AND BOILER HOUSE AT RYHOPE PUMPING STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1218116 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:30:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
ENGINE HOUSE AND BOILER HOUSE AT RYHOPE PUMPING STATION, STOCKTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 40380 52462

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ45SW STOCKTON ROAD, Ryhope 920-1/7/260 (West side (off)) 19/06/74 Engine house and boiler house at Ryhope Pumping Station (Formerly Listed as: RYHOPE Main building with chimney to Ryhope Pumping Station)

GV II*

Engine house and boiler house for water pumping station. 1866-9. By Thomas Hawksley. For the Sunderland and South Shields Water Co. English bond brick with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings and shingle ventilator roof. EXTERIOR: engine house 2 high storeys and basement, 4x1 windows; boiler house attached to W one storey, 4 windows. Engine house gable to E has brick parapet walls with ashlar coping to side steps to panelled door in 2-storey corniced projection; ashlar doorcase of panelled pilasters has semicircular overlight in high entablature with cornice breaking forward over key and pilasters and with finials on pilasters and on long keystone. Blank panel above door; 3-light window above; modillioned cornice. Above cornice, in recessed plane, a stepped 3-light window in gable peak. Giant corniced angle pilasters support projection at edge of shaped gable which rises to obelisk finial. Returns have longer windows on ground floor with corniced surrounds and central ball finials, smaller above with long keystones, in bays defined by giant pilasters with continuous cornice and finials on stepped panels above pilasters. Rear gable corresponds to that at front. All windows have stone mullions and transoms. Roof has high central ridge octagonal louvred ventilator with swept eaves to tall conical shingle roof. Boiler house attached to rear gable has 4 cross gables, shaped and with finials, on pilasters with cornices which support gable-edge projection. Recessed plane in each gable contains doors in keyed elliptical stone surrounds on S, except for high plain stone lintel over renewed door in 3rd from E, and 2-light windows on N, each side with small slits in gable peaks. INTERIOR contains complete pumping equipment with original engines by R & W Hawthorne, and boilers of 1908. A fine example of the work of a great engineer, with engines made by one of the first engine manufacturers of the region. Cared for by The Ryhope Engines Trust and the machinery still operated occasionally for demonstration purposes, but the water no longer pumped by these engines. A Scheduled Ancient Monument. (Corfe T: The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914: Newcastle: 1983-: 19).

Listing NGR: NZ4038052462

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391598
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Corfe, T, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914, (1983), 19

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/01595/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David E Sandersfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].