RANGE ON NORTH SIDE OF EDGE HILL STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1218196
Date first listed:
14-Oct-1974
Statutory Address:
RANGE ON NORTH SIDE OF EDGE HILL STATION, TUNNEL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RANGE ON NORTH SIDE OF EDGE HILL STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1218196 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 08:12:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
RANGE ON NORTH SIDE OF EDGE HILL STATION, TUNNEL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 37150 89954

Details

SJ 38 NE TUNNEL ROAD L7

7/1240 Range on north side of Edge 14.10.74 Hill Station

G.V. II*

Station building. 1836. Built for Liverpool and Manchester Railway. Red sandstone; channelled rustication that to ground floor being heavier, 2 storeys, 6 bays with 4-bay extension to house stairs to underpass. 1st 3 bays break forward with 2nd bay breaking further forward. 1st floor sill band, top frieze, cornice (that to 1st 3 bays modillioned) and blocking course with gable over 2nd bay. Windows and entrances in recessed ashlar reveals, windows are sashed. 1st floor has sashes with glazing bars. 2-faced clock projects between 5th and 6th bays at 1st floor level. Rear of range is of brick of 1850s,one-storey extension to north, only west return wall with entrance remains. One of the oldest railway stations in the world still in use.

Listing NGR: SJ3715089954

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359620
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/06904/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].