CHURCH OF ST MARY (METHODIST)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1218680
Date first listed:
14-Dec-1992
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY (METHODIST), CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY (METHODIST)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1218680.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 18:08:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY (METHODIST), CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isles of Scilly (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Mary's
National Grid Reference:
SV 90547 10560

Details

ST. MARY'S

SV9010 CHURCH STREET, Hugh Town 1358-0/8/51 (North side) CHURCH OF ST MARY Methodist Church

GV II

Methodist chapel. 1899 by A.J. Trenear. Squared coursed granite rubble with slate roof. Single-vessel rectangular plan. Early Pointed style. West front has two 2-light outer lancets flanking central tripartite lancets with wooden Y-tracery set above door (replaced 1980s). Gable apex with inscription and roundel with trefoil cast-iron ventilator. Four-bay returns with similar lancets. Interior: four-bay hall with horseshoe plan and first-floor galleries on cast-iron columns with angle stairs and panelled gallery fronts. Pulpit with two staircases. Cambered ceiling with ventilation roundels. West window of c. 1900. An unaltered chapel of the period. (P Laws: The Buildings of Scilly: Redruth: 1980-: 22).

Listing NGR: SV9054710560

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
62492
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Laws, P, The Buildings of Scilly, (1980), 22

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07191/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Vanessa Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].