REMAINS OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1218757
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
10-Aug-1992
Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, PRIORY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1218757.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:35:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, PRIORY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 32844 88554

Details

BIRKENHEAD

SJ3288NE PRIORY STREET 789-1/14/141 (East side) 29/07/50 Remains of Church of St Mary (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET Church of St Mary)

GV II

Remains of Church of St Mary. 1821. By Thomas Rickman, partly demolished in 1975. Finely coursed and squared sandstone facing over brick. Originally the church consisted of a W tower, 5-bay aiseless nave, polygonal sanctuary and very large transepts (added 1832-5); of this the W tower and part of the nave and transepts survive. West tower with two flanking porches, and a length of south wall are all that survive. Two stage tower with foiled lancet windows in first stage with clock over, and moulded arched doors in crocketted expressed gabled hoodmould in south porch. Plain moulded doorway in north porch. 2-light belfry openings in second stage. Embattled parapet and recessed spire with lucarnes. 3 bays of south wall, divided by buttresses with pinnacles, and 2- and 3-light windows with cast-iron tracery. Embattled parapet. The church was built to serve the expanding new town of Birkenhead, but became redundant in 1975, when the rest of the structure was demolished. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-).

Listing NGR: SJ3284488554

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
389302
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10124/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brendan Oxlade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].