This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 34, THE BANK

List entry Number: 1218764



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: County Durham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Barnard Castle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Nov-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388827

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



NZ0516SW THE BANK 770-1/6/198 (East side) 24/02/50 No.34 (Formerly Listed as: THE BANK (East side) Nos.34, 36 AND 36A (Even))


Inn, now house. Dated 1742. Incorporates C17 fabric in rear wing. Ashlar with plinth and painted rusticated quoins; roof of stone slates with stone gable copings and ashlar and rendered chimneys. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 4-window range, with 2-storey rear wing. Steps up to wide 2-panel door in second bay in architrave with segmental pediment. Date and initials: `RD 1742' inscribed in pediment. Cross-casement window to left of door in plain reveals said to be inserted in former vehicle entrance. Architraves and projecting stone sills to other similar tall windows on ground and first floors and smaller 2-light casements on top floor which abut top entablature with eaves gutter cornice. Roof has slightly swept eaves, stone gable copings on cyma-moulded kneelers, and rendered end chimneys on stone plinths. Rear wing has stone and wood lintels over varied openings. INTERIOR: dogleg stair with turned balusters and newels and closed string. Boarded and 2-panel doors on top floor; windows in splayed reveals which drop to form seats. Roof completely ceiled and without any access. Rear wing, partly plastered and with first-floorboards removed, shows first-floor fire with flat Tudor-arched stone surround, some wood-mullioned windows, and one window on internal wall has lozenge leaded glazing with original glass in situ although damaged. HISTORY: built as an inn: the Hat and Feather, according to owner's deeds. Later known as the Turk's Head, then the Shoulder of Mutton until 1955; known locally as the Bucket of Blood. Derelict until restored by present owner; rear wing not yet restored.

Listing NGR: NZ0501516209

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 05015 16210


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1218764 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 06:48:16.

End of official listing