CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH AND BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1219106
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH AND BOUNDARY WALL, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH AND BOUNDARY WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1219106.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:07:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH AND BOUNDARY WALL, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tregoney
National Grid Reference:
SW 92534 44873

Details

SW 94 SW TREGONY FORE STREET (south-east side) TREGONY 5/96 Congregational Church and - boundary wall 30-5-67 GV II

Independent chapel and boundary walls, gate piers and gates. Plaque dated 1824 and 1876. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings and low pitched roof with gable ends. Gothic features in Classical arrangement. Symmetrical, rectangular plan with later lean-to extensions. Entrance front facing street has central entrance in pointed arched opening with original double doors and blind fanlight with intersecting glazing bars. Small circular wheel window over flanked by original small paned sashes with intersecting glazing bars within pointed arched openings. Gable is in the form of a classical pediment enclosed by string and coping with 3 plain pinnacles over acroteria. Small oval central daated tablet. Each side wall has 2 pointed arched windows with marginal glazing probably 1876 within pointed arched openings. Interior has pine pews to sides and middle approached by 2 inner entrances. Plain panelled backs may be of 1876. Pulpit is approached by a short flight of steps to each side and has Gothic frontal panels. Organ was removed from chapel in Grampound was installed here in 1971. Gallery on 3 sides is supported on wooden pillars painted to simulate marble and Gothic panelled front is cantilevered out on shaped wooden brackets. Chamfered balusters to both gallery stairs, pulpit stairs and to the gallery pew backs by windows to admit more light. Rubble boundary wall has entrance to street with pair of square granite gate post with pyramidal caps. Wrought iron gates have diagonal crosses to bottom rail and circles to lock rail with curved top rails forming arch.

Listing NGR: SW9250944875

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
62925
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13508/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Dodds. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].