THE BLOCKHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1219196

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1992

Statutory Address: THE BLOCKHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BLOCKHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1219196 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2019 at 21:42:18.

Location

Statutory Address: THE BLOCKHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isles of Scilly (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Tresco

National Grid Reference: SV 89730 15462

Details

TRESCO

SV81NE The Blockhouse 1358-0/1/119

II

Blockhouse. Probably 1548-52. Roughly coursed granite rubble. Rectangular plan. Top of the platform is enclosed by walls, originally surmounted by a parapet with embrasures. Stairs to east. Winder stairs to original lean-to in south-east corner, with plain granite open fireplace; remains of later room constructed in south-east corner of platform. Covers Old Grimsby Harbour, and is probably one of the blockhouses built on Tresco under Sir Francis Fleming, and later John Kiligrew, captain of Pendennis Castle, between 1548 and 1552. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. (P Laws: The Buildings of Scilly: Redruth: 1980-: 6; B.H. St.J.O'Neil: Isles of Scilly: London (HMSO): 1950-: 20).

Listing NGR: SV8973015462

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62554

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Laws, P, The Buildings of Scilly, (1980), 6
O'Neil, BH St J , Isles of Scilly, (1950), 20

End of official listing