CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1219217
Date first listed:
15-Feb-1993
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, ST ANNES ROAD EAST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1219217 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 05:30:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, ST ANNES ROAD EAST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Fylde (District Authority)
Parish:
Saint Anne's on the Sea
National Grid Reference:
SD 32675 29392

Details

LYTHAM ST ANNES

SD32NW ST ANNES ROAD EAST, St Annes 621-1/2/115 (West side) Church of St Anne

GV II

Parish church. 1873, by Paley and Austin, enlarged 1887 by R.K.Freeman; with additions of 1903, 1919 and 1930. Red brick in English bond with some pebble inlay, sandstone dressings, and red pantile roof. Mixed Gothic style. Nave and chancel in one, south aisle under carried-down roof embracing south transept, west tower (1887) embraced by nave, north aisle under parallel roof; baptistery added to west side of tower, memorial chapel added to north side of chancel. The monumental square 2-stage tower, with low buttresses to the west side, stone bands including a double band to the 1st stage with diamond-pattern pebble inlay, and a set-back belfry stage with diagonal buttresses, crow-stepped parapet and crocketed corner pinnacles, has a 2-centred arched west window with intersecting tracery, clock-faces to the belfry stage and square-headed 2-light belfry windows with stone louvres and mouchette tracery in the heads; and at the top of the south side of the 1st stage, a statue in a niche. The attached polygonal baptistery has 2-light windows, a lettered parapet and copper-clad polygonal roof. The 4-bay south aisle has a 2-centred arched doorway to the 1st bay and square-headed 3-light windows in the other bays; the transept has buttresses and a large 2-centred arched 4-light window with a transom and tracery; and continued to the right of this is one bay of the aisle built as a vestry, with a 2-centred arched doorway dated 1873. The chancel has bands of blind arcading with pebble inlay, a square-headed 3-light plate-traceried window in the south side, a large 2-centred arched 5-light east window with lancet-shaped tracery, a buttressed north transept with a large 2-centred arched window which has a triple-chamfered brick surround; and attached to the north-east corner, a flat-roofed polygonal memorial chapel. The 4-bay north aisle, with buttresses, has large 2-centred arched traceried windows with double-chamfered brick surrounds. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORY: erected by Lady Cecily Clifton at her own expense in memory of the Clifton estate agent James Fair (d.1871); first church in the new town of St Annes-on-Sea, which was named after it. Forms group with associated lychgate and boundary wall (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SD3267529392

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
385303
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01659/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G M Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].