CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1219238
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1219238.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:53:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lawhitton Rural
National Grid Reference:
SX 35547 82356

Details

LAWHITTON RURAL SX 38 SE 4/15 Church of St Michael 22.11.60

GV II*

Parish church. C15 with C13 tower. Restored late Cl9. Roughly coursed slate stone to nave and chancel with granite to windows; polyphant stone to tower and south chancel aisle with granite to porch. Windows and buttresses; graded slate roofs with tile cresting and stepped coped verges. Nave; chancel; south aisle; south transeptal tower and south porch. Tower: Unbuttiessed in 3 diminishing stages with chamfered string courses, embattled parapet and plain corner pinnacles. First stage on south has 3-light C15 window with hoodmould; segmental-headed slate-louvred window to second stage. Belfry has similar paired slate-louvred windows with hollow spandrels on all sides, all with segmental relieving arches, south and west with cusped heads and labels. Projecting rectangular staircase turret to north-east corner has plain corner pinnacles, chamfered rectangular slit openings and 4-centred chamfered doorway to bottom. Nave North side, buttressed in 3 bays, has square- headed C15 windows of triple cinquefoil-headed lights with hollow spandrels and labels to 2 west bays and one of 2 lights to east bay; segmental relieving arches. West end has Cl9 five-light window with panel tracery and hoodmould. Chancel: North side has C19 three-light ecorated-style windows with hoodmould. Similar 5-light east window. South aisle: All windows are C15 of 3 lights with panel tracery, 4-centred arches and hoodmoulds, one to east and west walls, one to right of porch and 2 to buttressed section to right of tower, with chamfered eaves cornice. Infilled segmental-arched chamfered doorway beneath easternmost window on south. Gabled C15 Porch: has 4-centred outer arch with label and weathered Perpendicular tracery to spandrels. Probably Cl9 Tudor-arched inner doorway with quatrefoils and trefoils to spandrels and label; C15 ogee-arched image recess above and crudely carved holy water stoup to right. Exposed waggon roof with carved ribs, rafters and bosses. Interior: Cl9 door reuses earlier strap hinges. Nave has heavily restored C15 arch-braced triple-purlin roof in 7 bays with a St Andrew's cross to each panel between purlin and principal rafter. Principal rafters painted and foliated crosses intersecting with St Andrew's crosses forming celure to east bay. Chancel has C19 hammerbeam roof with carved angles (some possibly Cl9 and reused). Exposed waggon roof to south aisle with bosses to centre rail and small carved figures to wall-plate at division between main part of aisle and south chancel aisle. Nave arcade in 5 bays continuing into chancel (no structural division; has granite moulded segmental arches supported on clustered columns with moulded capitals and bases (Of Church of St Briochus, Lezant). Pointed single-chamfered tower arch dying into responds. Tower has panelled roof (floor of second stage) with bosses at intersections and narrow pointed chamfered doorway to stair turret. C15 carved bench ends to C19 nave benches. Panelled pulpit dated "1665" resting on short moulded wooden column, with carved floral motifs to top row of panels and bracketed ledge has brass sconce dated "1887". c19 encaustic tiles to raised chancel and sanctuary, which had Cl9 wooden reredos with contemporary blind Gothic tracery panels (stone) to either side. C19 trefoil-headed aumbry in north wall of sanctuary and C19 screen between it and east bay of chancel aisle. C12 Hicks Grey Mill Stone front has carved head to each corner with carved leaf emblem encircled by twin -headed serpent to each face; octagonal base. Partly cut away on west side (traces of paint adhering) suggesting that it formerly abutted one of the arcade columns. Bench in south-west corner of aisle has turned balusters to back, possibly re-used from C17 communion rails. granite celtic cross-head on floor of chancel aisle and late C19 stained glass throughout. Monuments: Cl9 wall memorials in nave and tower. Grave slab (formerly in floor) of Robert Bennet (d. 1683) with incised armorial shield fixed on wall next to door. Coade stone memorial by Coade and Sealy of Lambeth to Richard Goffic (d.1796) at east end of chancel aisle, sarcophagus with figure of a woman reclining on a draped urn, formerly with attendant putti. BOE p.99.

Listing NGR: SX3554782356

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
393565
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970), 99

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/08588/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W. Wesley Colwill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].