PORTLOE CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1219262
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
PORTLOE CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of PORTLOE CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1219262.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:01:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
PORTLOE CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Veryan
National Grid Reference:
SW 93741 39425

Details

SW 93 NW VERYAN PORTLOE

8/131 Portloe Church -

GV II

Church of England church, formerly lifeboat house. Rebuilt and extended circa 1890. Slatestone with granite dressings and quoins and Delabole slate roof with gable ends. Nave and chancel under one roof and narrow north aisle under lean-to roof. West front has central doorway with original planked door within painted granite arch with hood mould. Flanking pointed windows rising to higher level with linked hood moulds. 2- light wooden windows with trefoil heads and cusped tympanum arches with sidelights. Cusped wooden wheel window in round granite frame with moulded border. Lancets to aisle west window and south wall of nave. All windows with cusped leaded glazing. Octagonal open wooden bellcote with steep lead roof surmounted by weathervane over ridge near west gable. Exposed purlin and rafter ends to verge and eaves. Unaltered interior has 4-bay arcade of round piers on octagonal bases and 4-centred arches; incised stucco walls to simulate ashlar aand king post roof. Fittings including polygonal pulpit with octagonal shaft and cusped arcade; octagonal freestone font on square base. 2 carved heads to bowl suggest early date but tooling is late C19. Bell is from the Dundella which sank in the Great Blizzard of 1891. (church guide).

Listing NGR: SW9374139425

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
62956
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13714/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Oliver E. Harford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].