Parish Church of St Nicholas


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Parish Church of St Nicholas, Bartholomew Street, Newbury


Ordnance survey map of Parish Church of St Nicholas
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1219556.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:40:12.


Statutory Address:
Parish Church of St Nicholas, Bartholomew Street, Newbury

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 47061 67101


SU 4767 SW 1/16

BARTHOLOMEW STREET (west side) Parish Church of St Nicholas



Circa 1509-1532 in Perpendicular style, built largely at the expense of the clothier John Smallwood (alias Winchcombe or 'Jack of Newbury'); extensive alterations in 1858 and 1866, five bay nave and aisles, chancel with north and south chapels, half-enclosed west tower, north and south porches and vestry of 1866. Lead roofs with battlements. Bath stone ashlar with buttresses, gargoyles and strings. Chalk elements. West tower of four stages with polygonal buttresses and embattled pinnacles. Corbel of tower with date 1532. Windows of four-six lights with panel tracery; three-light clerestory windows. West doorway with square hood mould.

Interior: Arcade piers with clustered shaft. Chancel arch and roof of 1858 by Woodyer. Perpendicular nave roof with initials of John Smallwood. Fine carved pulpit of 1607. stained glass by Handman. Brasses to John Smallwood and wife (died 1519) and Griffiths Curteys (died 1587).

Listing NGR: SU4706067101


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 148
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00404/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James A Irving. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].