CHURCH OF ST MARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1220134
Date first listed:
15-Mar-1993
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARK, BROAD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1220134.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 00:10:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARK, BROAD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Stoke-on-Trent (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 87891 46861

Details

STOKE ON TRENT

SJ84NE BROAD STREET, Shelton 613-1/4/114 (South East side) Church of St Mark

II

Church. 1831-4, with later additions. By John Oates of Halifax, built as a Commissioners Church. West tower, nave with 2 aisles, chancel added in 1866 by R.Scrivener. Ashlar faced. 3-stage tower with western doorway with chamfered arch with hood moulds and foliate crocketed decoration. Simple lancet window with shafted responds over. Triple lancets, blind arcading and clock in second stage, paired bell chamber lights with central pilaster above. Angle buttresses form crocketed pinnacles, embattled parapet. Lancets with shafted responds to aisles, divided into 7 bays by buttresses, the angle buttresses forming polygonal turrets with pinnacles. North doorway in porch to west of aisle. Chancel has foiled lancets and 2-light Decorated windows with fretted parapet over. (The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Pugh RB: Staffordshire: Oxford: 1963-; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire).

Listing NGR: SJ8789146861

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384370
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1963)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03971/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Shenton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].