Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1220144.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:13:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cherwell (District Authority)
Hampton Gay and Poyle
National Grid Reference:
SP 49837 15522


HAMPTON GAY AND POYLE CHURCH LANE SP4915 (North side) Hampton Poyle 8/51 Church of St. Mary 07/12/66


Church. Late C13; north aisle of c.1360 and late C13 south aisle; restored 1841 and 1860s. Coursed limestone rubble; stone-coped gabled Welsh slate roof. Chancel and aisled nave. Chancel has mid C19 Geometrical-style 3-light east window; label mould over C15 two-light window and mid C19 buttress to north; mid C19 lancet window and label mould over late C13 chamfered pointed-arched doorway to south. North aisle has C14 hood mould over 3-light Perpendicular window to east, and C15 two-light window and mid C19 buttress to north. South aisle has late C13 three-light intersecting tracery window to east, C14 two-light window restored with mid C19 head, mid C19 buttress and mid C19 pointed-arched moulded doorway. West gable has early C14 bellcote with 2 pointed-arched openings and early C14 two-light Decorated window. Interior: mid C19 marble reredos. East window flanked by 2 medieval corbels, one to north with stand for statue. Mid C19 piscina and benches; backs to benches have C17 panels with scribed lozenges; mid C19 two-bay king-post roof. C14 double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave has mid C19 pulpit with linenfold panels; mid C19 arch-braced tie beam roof. Late C13 two-bay south arcade, with double chamfered arches and moulded imposts. Similar mid C14 north arcade has capital of figures with interlaced arms. Mid C19 aisle roofs. North aisle has reset C12 tub font, and mid C14 piscina supported on head corbel to south-east. Pews are mid C19, with some C16 carved bench ends; screen to west end of nave of C17 panelling. Monuments: chancel has wall tablet to Catherine Benson, d.1839; nave has wall tablet to Thomas Goodall, d.1820. South aisle has oval wall tablet to John Blake, d.1798; monument to Christopher Tilson, d.1742, by Peter Scheemakers, has urn on grey marble pyramid set on heavy sarcophagus. North aisle has early C14 effigy of Knight in north wall, and chamfered pointed arched tomb recess in north wall; effigy of woman to east set in crocketed ogee canopy flanked by crocketed niches above angels holding shields, and cinquefoiled panel tracery to frieze, stained glass: early C15 tracery lights in north chancel window, and north aisle windows by Wailes, 1844. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp630-631; National Monuments Record; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI, pp167-9; Bodleian Library, Topographical Drawings)

Listing NGR: SP4983715522


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 630-1
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 167-9


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06637/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Julian Tomasso. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].