PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1220252
Date first listed:
06-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1220252.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 20:46:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Enborne
National Grid Reference:
SU 43585 65773

Details

SU 46NW ENBORNE ENBORNE

6/23 Parish Church Of 4. 6 7 St.Michael - I

Church. C12, C13 and C15. Partially restored in 1878-9 and l885. Generally restored and re-built in 1893. Flint, with brick and tile lacing courses, and stone dressings. Tiled roof with half hip to west and catslides over aisles. Nave with bellcote, north and south aisles, north porch and C13 chancel. West end of nave with central doorway and hood mould. String course and triple lancets, under one hood mould, above. Buttresses to right and left with one light windows at west ends of aisles. Stack above buttress to right. Timber belfry on ridge above with pyrimidal cap and weathervane. South aisle with central re-set C12 doorway. 2 sundials in east jambs. Re-set head of possibly C12 window or piscina above. 2 square headed windows, consisting of 3 cusped ogee lights, to right and left with gables above. 2 light window at east end with cusped heads. North aisle with square headed door to west and gabled timber porch. 2 gables to east with paired lancets beneath. 2-light window to east with cusped heads. Chancel with 2 C13 lancets on north and south sides. Diagonal brick buttresses at east end with east window of 3 light and depressed arch under square head with hood mould. Interior. C12 nave arcades to north and south of 3 bays. Squat piers, square to west and round to east. Half round piers on east and west walls. Square abacai with scalloped and fluted capitals. Capitals with stylized leaves on round piers. Bases with spurs. North aisle with old bench, and C12 font and arcaded round tub, to west. Chancel arch of 1893 with C12 imposts. Shafted lancets in chancel above continuous string; trefoiled double piscina in south wall. Painting of the Annunciation at east end of north wall.All other fittings C19. All roofs C19. V.C.H.Vol.4. PP.172-174. B.O.E.Berkshire.p.l36.

Listing NGR: SU4358165772

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
394011
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 172-174
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 136

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/02738/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James A Irving. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].