FORMER CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1220520
Date first listed:
30-Apr-1985
Statutory Address:
FORMER CHURCH OF ST ANNE, AT EAST SIDE OF JUNCTION WITH ALLEN'S GREEN ROAD, SLOUGH ROAD
Statutory Address:
THE OLD CHURCH, SLOUGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CHURCH OF ST ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1220520.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:43:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER CHURCH OF ST ANNE, AT EAST SIDE OF JUNCTION WITH ALLEN'S GREEN ROAD, SLOUGH ROAD
Statutory Address:
THE OLD CHURCH, SLOUGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
High Wych
National Grid Reference:
TL 45493 16813

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/01/2013

TL 41 NE 4/34

HIGH WYCH Allen's Green SLOUGH ROAD (north side) Former Church of St Anne, at E side of junction with Allen's Green Road

(Formerly listed as CHURCH OF ST ANNE at E side of junction with Allen's Green Road)

GV II

Mission Church. 1863 (WEA II (1967) 30) by G E Pritchett (1824- 1912) (Builder 8.3.1912 283). Small pretty Victorian mission church; E parts in masonry but nave still timberframed. Uncoursed flint with white brick for dressings, quoins and plinth offset and with stone windows to chancel and vestry: timberframed nave, plastered verges and eaves. Square shingled bell-turret over chancel. Wrought iron crosses over each gable and bracketed, gabed door hood, and wrought iron finial to bell turret. Unaisled rectangular nave with S door, polygonal apse to chancel, and a rectangular gabed vestry as a S transept, curtained off from chancel. 2-light wood mullioned windows to nave, with diamond leaded glazing. Heavy plank S door with decorative iron hinges. Drip board on shaped brackets above each window and continuous over weatherboarded apron. 2 round nosed steps to door. Similar W door into vestry with 2-light stone, chamfered mullioned S window, with square head and diamond leaded glazing. W end has central cross window and grooved timbers dividing rough plaster above weatherboarded apron. Horizontal drip boards on shaped brackets at 4 levels and similar offset over low brick plinth. Masonry structure inside possibly to carry a W bell turret, built before E turret decided on. 4 windows along N side of nave, and brick buttress at change to flint masonry of chancel. Interior intact, with scissor-braced pine roof, ornamental tiled chancel floor rising in 3 marble steps, altar rail on wrought iron standards, heavy altar table with ornamental cusped bracing on front, 2 stained glass windows flanking the altar, octagonal stone font on slender shafts, and swing-back pine benches. A complete and well-preserved mission church of 1863 by G E Pritchett still retaining a timberframed nave, presumably regarded as a temporary expedient when built.

Listing NGR: TL4549316813

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
394256
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 8 March, (1912), 283

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05152/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].