CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1220810
Date first listed:
15-Mar-1993
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, NEWCASTLE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1220810.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:13:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, NEWCASTLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Stoke-on-Trent (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 86317 43653

Details

STOKE ON TRENT

SJ84SE NEWCASTLE ROAD, Trent Vale 613-1/6/153 (East side) Church of St John

II

Parish Church. Built in 2 phases,the first 1843-4, the second 1908. Brick with stone dressings and plain tiled roof. Nave with south aisle (the original nave), and west tower, chancel. West tower of 3 stages with clasping buttresses, west doorway with chamfered arch and hood mould over, lancet windows and paired bell chamber lights. Corbel table and stone broach spire above. South aisle of 3 bays with lancet windows and aisle chapel projecting to SE. Present nave a later addition, with 5-light west window over polygonal projecting baptistery. North doorway in porch and 4 north windows with simple traceried lights. Similar tracery in East window, and 3 lancets in east of original section. (The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Pugh R B: Staffordshire: Oxford: 1963-).

Listing NGR: SJ8631743653

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384454
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1963)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/04623/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Shenton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].