CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1220815

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1952

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, ST PAUL'S SQUARE B3

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1220815 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 13:49:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, ST PAUL'S SQUARE B3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 06494 87483

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 0687 SW, 28/16; SP 0687 SE 29/36

ST PAUL'S SQUARE, Hockley B3, Church of St Paul

25.04.52

GV

I

1776-79 by Roger Eykyn of Wolverhampton, master joiner, nurseryman, surveyor and architect. A much simplified version St Martin's-in-the-Fields, without a portico. Eykyn's intended steeple was never completed above the square tower base and the existing belfry and spire are an addition by Frances Goodwin of 1822-23. Eykyn's original design was apparently the subject of amendments by Samuel Wyatt on consultation with the Trustees.

Rectangular plan with five bay sides, the shallow chancel simply extending the nave and the west end distinguished by the slight recession of the porch/vestries flanking the tower, the central entrance bay of the west front being slightly advanced in turn with a modest pediment in front of the stepped plinth of the tower. Ashlar walls with rusticated quoins, bracket course and blocking course. Hipped slate roof. Two tiers of windows to sides, tall and round-arched to galleries, squat and segmental-arched below, similar fenestration to west front, all in Gibbs surrounds. Venetian east window. Gibbs surrounds to west door, with cornice on consoles, and to north and south porch/vesting doors with pediments.

INTERIOR has galleries on three sides supported on square piers from which rise Ionic columns capped by sections of entablature bearing the cross vaulting of the aisles and the elliptical band vault of the nave. The organ has been removed from the west gallery to the east bay of the north gallery. In 1785 Francis Eginton was commissioned to paint the east window showing three scenes from the life of St Paul after Benjamin West, completed in 1791. The architectural framework of the window with inner Ionic columns and flanking Ionic pilasters, delicate plasterwork above with oval panels and crowning pediment, may be due to Samuel Wyatt who was once again consulted by the Trustees on the design. Virtually all the fittings are late C18, retaining box pews, those at the back of the nave set in coved recesses. Several wall tablets by Williams Hollins. The south-east aisle window is designed as a memorial to William Hollins, sculptor and architect, and his family, with delicately sculpted marble reveals and a fine bust of William on the right hand side, all executed in 1843 by his son Peter Hollins. Francis Goodwin's steeple of 1822-23, raised on the base of Eykyn's tower, is a Grecian design: an irregular octagonal belfry with an Ionic column recessed to each short side supporting the entablature with balustraded parapet, octagonal lantern and slender stone spire of same form rising above with classical decoration applied as if to a normal wall, carved finial. The church stands in a spacious churchyard/square thought not orientated on a main axis.



Listing NGR: SP0648987475

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 217564

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing