CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1221254
Date first listed:
21-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221254.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2020 at 18:13:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Uttlesford (District Authority)
Parish:
Radwinter
National Grid Reference:
TL 60631 37275

Details

RADWINTER THE VILLAGE 1. 5222 Church of St Mary the Virgin TL 6037 34/647 21.2.67

II* GV

2. Flint church almost completely rebuilt in 1869-70 by W. E. Nesfield, architect, who re-used old materials in his reconstruction. He left the lower stage of the fine C14 south porch and the north arcade of the nave which is circa 1340. He added the gabled framed upper storey of the south porch. The lower part has massive timbers and the outer archway has a pointed head formed by 2 curved brackets which are carved and enriched. The side walls have 3 cinquefoil ogee lights with carving and tracery on the spandrels. The nave roof is C14, with tie beams, curved braces with traceried spandrels and octagonal crown posts with capitals and 4-way braces. The west tower, with castellated parapet, angle buttresses staircase turret and small spire was added in 1887 by Temple Moore. The church occupies an important position as the focal point of the village centre. The church reconstruction with a number of surrounding buildings is an important work of W. E. Nesfield. Graded for its historical and topographical value. (RCHM 1).

Listing NGR: TL6063637276

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
412065
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14211/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].